1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker Controller repair

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Progrounds, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

Hey everyone - I just recovered my stolen "03 F250 4x4 crew cab from the idiots that took it. for some unknown reason they cut he wiring harness for the handheld controller. My local dealer wants $245 for a replacement. Is there any reason I couldn't just splice with wires back together? They are all color-coordinated so even a dummy like me could do it. Any reason this wouldn't work?

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Im no expert,but i dont see why it wouldnt work. Thats what i would have done.Just make sure all the connections are good.

3. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

i'd splice it if i were you... it should work fine the $245 sounds like they just want to sell you a whole new harness. id still try it and find out the worst that could happen is it doesnt work and ya end up paying for a new harness.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd just splice it back together.Take your time,and use solder and heatshrink.Offsetting some of the splices will make the repair less bulky when you tape it all up.

Radio shack has little uninsulated butt connectors which would work perfectly for this repair.You just insert the wires,and lightly crimp them,then a dab of solder to make it permanent.Much easier than trying to hold two bare wires together to solder them,and very small in diameter,so they don't make the repair to bulky.

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

PRO......Even better idea ! Go to Radio Shack or ? and get
    a male and female connector. Hook the wires into
    them and you can plug or unplug controller when
    needed. Neet clean and easy!

Does the Heineker controller already have a factory
    male/female connector from the factory in the cab
    like fisher/western?...................geo

6. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

Seth, Chris, Geo -
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the Hiniker does have plug-ins on the controller under the dash, so it's already removable. In fact, it was under the seat when the truck was stolen. I like the idea of the splice connectors. I'll give it a shot and let you all know if it works when I put the plow on for a test tomorrow.

7. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

guys-
    hooked up the plow today and it works fine with the spliced controller harness. thanks for all your help! let it snow!
    Dave