1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hiniker controller problem

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by alaska blue ox, Dec 27, 2008.

1. alaska blue ox

alaska blue ox Junior Member
    from Alaska

Snowed in, blizzard in Alaska! my straight blade hiniker controller seems to be malfunctioning, when I fire up my big blue ox, I cannot move the plow at all, after a few minutes I can hear a rapid ticking in the controller when I try to move the plow. after a few more minutes I can usually pick up the plow. today it took 1/2 hour with the truck running before I could lift the plow and another 1/2 hour before I could angle it. After I get it working properly it will function fine all day truck as long as I don't shut it off for too long. I have checked all connectors and pins and all were greased when I installed this used plow this summer. all fuses, batteries, alternator etc. are all good, any tips? where can I get a new controller or rebuild parts at a decent price? When this works it's the best I've ever used, but I can't have it quit on me!

2. diesel dave 04

diesel dave 04 Senior Member

maybe try keeping the controler in the warm house.

3. alaska blue ox

from Alaska

I tried that two days ago the night before I had the worst of my problems

4. diesel dave 04

I would try a new motor relay and if that dont do it then looks like a new controller

5. alaska blue ox

from Alaska

does anyone know where to get controllers cheap? how about repair parts, switches etc?

6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Try spraying some Electrical cleaner into the controller or take it apart and clean it with the spray..You may save it until you really need to replace it...!!!!! I know dealer hear wants about $200.00 for a new one !!!!

7. RichG53

Also check all your pin connections...Every once in a while mine gets loose and I loose a function....

8. Scott13136

Scott13136 Member

hate to state the ovious, but is your fluid full.

9. alaska blue ox

from Alaska

gee, at the start of this thread I stated that all of the pins are ok!

10. alaska blue ox

from Alaska

check the beginning of this thread for symptoms! the high speed clicking in the controller from a relay couldn't be from low fluid, do you have fluid in your plow controller?

11. alaska blue ox

from Alaska

the best price I have found is $243. does anyone know if a universal controller can be wired up to work?

12. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

Did you buy this plow new from a dealer? If so, parts should be covered for at least one yr.

13. alaska blue ox

from Alaska

check the start of this thread where I said I installed this used plow this summer!!

14. whitehat55

whitehat55 Junior Member
    from MA

I understand people should read the thread in it's entirety, or at least read the introductory post fully, though I doubt giving people that are trying to help you an attitude will help you ANY. Why don't you sit back and RELAX buddy. All those comments that don't help you may help somebody else when they are trying to diagnose a problem of their own.

15. alaska blue ox

from Alaska

It is very frustrating when the few people that actually read the start of the thread are coming up with good ideas but they don't help and the other people who chime in haven't bothered to read the symptoms and what I have already checked! they are wasting their time and mine. If they had spent 30 seconds reading they may have been able to contribute something intelligent! as for relaxing you should see me when I am really disgusted. thanks to deisel dave and rich g53 but I am still hunting for the problem, it is getting worse and is hard to do anything in -28 degrees! good thing it isn't snowing!

16. diesel dave 04

17. crew cuts

crew cuts Junior Member
    from Omaha

It is in fact your controller. I had the same problem last week. Do NOT spray electrical cleaner in it, it will get worse. I tried the cleaner from radio shack ($20!!) and it made it completely stop working. Also, the controllers are pretty much made to not be repairable, except the brand new ones which you can change the joystick on them. Post a picture of your controller, if its a newer one you may be able to try and replace that joystick ($60). That may be the extent of your problems.

18. alaska blue ox

from Alaska

mine is the older style, though I have been told that you can carefully cut the pins shorter and install the replaceable joystick. thanks for the info and for the warning about electrical cleaner. at present I cannot make it worse as I have not been able to move my plow in about two days!!

19. RichG53

Why does the cleaner make things worse ??? What does it do to the controller ???

20. alaska blue ox

from Alaska

it probably washes contaminents deeper into the joystick assembly