1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker 8.5' V Plow - VERY uneven cutting edge wear

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nick_snonomo, Dec 10, 2012.

1. nick_snonomo

nick_snonomo Junior Member

Hi fellas,

I'm looking to upgrade my truck and plow to this truck shown in the picture. It has a 8.5' Hiniker V plow with it. The cutting edge wear is VERY VERY uneven. When looking at it...the left side has been worn a number of inches and to the right it is only worn a little. The reason I am throwing this question out there is I'm curious to if there may be any other issues with this plow. I do plan to have a local place take a look who deals/installs plows in the area to see what they're opinions are...let me know what you guys think. Should I stay away from a unit like this?

Chevy Hiniker V.jpg

2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Ha, I worked with K-W until about a month ago. Small world. It looks like the plow has been doing a lot of windrowing off the right side which would explain the wear. I'm no Hinicker expert, but it's pretty common to see the right side worn more than the left in my experience. Having the A-frame no parallel to the ground will accelerate the process too.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The cutting edge wear and the worn paint on the right side suggest lots of windrowing. Could have been a road plower.

4. nick_snonomo

They're giving me a pretty awesome price on a trade-in. If I buy it, I plan to replace cutting edges immediately and have the plow serviced. Come spring...maybe even get a paint job on it :nod:

5. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Agreed.

I might replace the missing bolts on the cutting edge before I took it out too, at least it appears there are missing bolts.....

Too bad that nice v-plow is on that Chevy though. :D

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd keep looking, that is a very high price for a 92 Diesel with 150k on it. If they are giving you a lot on trade, its because they probably own that truck for around $1,000.

7. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

$6990?!? :eek:

I agree, that's a lot of money for a 20 year old truck with 150k. I could maybe see it if it super clean, but looking at the pics it doesn't seem clean enough for that price.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The unit probably raises beyond the allowable limits when loaded for plowing. Even if the Aframe is level normally loading weight in the rear will alter that quickly.

9. nick_snonomo

$6990 does seem a little steep right? However, they are giving me a huge credit on my 99 F150 trade in (which has 3 rust holes, needs tires and alignment, and needs a new fuel pump. Also, after checking around with three area used plow dealers, the best price I've found on a comprable V plow installed is $4900, used. New doens't start until $6500. The truck is very clean on the inside, all electrical working...had my mechanic give it a run through and everything's good. I'll keep researching...

10. plowguy43

Keep your F150 and fix it. Its much newer, I'd argue its more reliable (we are talking about the 6.5 diesel here) and your repairs aren't that bad. Did you notice the rust around the driver 1/4 panel? I'd take a close look at the frame horns by the plow, they like to turn to swiss cheese after a while.

If its a Vplow you want, Meyer, Snowdogg, Boss, all make a 7'6" Vplow.

For comparison, I was selling my complete setup this fall for $6500 (plow included that is a year old still under warranty), with my truck that is in great shape for a 99 with 116k miles on it.

11. nick_snonomo

Would those V plows you mentioned be too heavy for my 99 Ford F150? I don't believe there's anyone in my area of Southern Minnesota who services those...only Hiniker/Western/Boss.

Maybe we meet in the middle and you sell me your truck? :)

12. plowguy43

I'm honestly not sure, personally I think your truck will handle it fine. Take a look on the Manufacture websites and see if they match up to your truck.

As for my truck, I would have anytime before December but now I need her ready to make me some payup

13. nick_snonomo

I checked out Boss and Snowdogg websites to see if they could match that plow for my truck..."officially" it won't. Turns out there is a dealer not that far from here for Snowdogg plows.

I'll make a few phone calls. It does worry me that that Chevy w/ the Hiniker is so old...thanks for the advice.

14. plowguy43

My plow is too big/heavy for my truck, but it holds it just fine.

You may need to buy cash & carry and install it yourself, but physically your truck will hold that plow fine.

15. nick_snonomo

Well...I ended up finding a one year old Snowdogg VMD within an hour from me...couldn't pass up the deal. So, I got new tires, new fuel pump, and one bad ass looking ride now :) Thanks for your input guys. I couldn't help but keep plowing my driveway until I was scratching up grass :)

2012-12-21 13.16.54.jpg

16. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Nice work!

17. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

now go get a set of wings for that thing and you'll really be set

18. plowguy43

Nice work that looks like an awesome setup! Happy to see it all worked out.

19. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Nice set up ...!