1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker 7'?-old plow truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Enforcer, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Well, some of you know I have been debating about my direction on snow removal next year. The local lumber yard owners do most of the plowing in my town (Chevy 3500 9'2 BOSS, S130, 763, 753 with buckets) The owner talked to me the other day about doing some of his driveway accounts next year because they want to cut back, they really don't want to do snow removal, they just do it because they have the equipment and they don't know how to say "no" to people. I would need my own equipment. I origionally was going to buy a small skid steer, but I have no way to trailer it around town (my accounts are far apart) I was thinking about a 7' Hiniker Sport Duty on my '99 Jeep Cherokee, or should I buy and old plow truck? I have seen some older Dodge 3/4 Rams with older Western or Hiniker plows on them. They are all in pretty good condition with 100,000-200,000 miles on them. Would I just be buying trouble, should I put a plow on the Jeep? Sorry for having so much to post, any advice or comments are appreciated-

2. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i have 3
    'old" dodge plow trucks. i'd buy one then run it around this summer and go threw and fix or repair the stuff that's needed so it will be reliable and ready for winter. that's what i do. every year after winter i make a list of things each truck needs and fix it over the course of the summer so i'm not scrambling the first week of december rushing to get them ready. for example i'm gonna put upper and lower ball joints in my 88 ramcharger this summer while i'm in there i'll do the u-joints too and anything else that looks suspect... that way it'll be done and have peace of mind. last summer i rebuilt the front end on my 91 dodge. that's what i'd do. it works for me and i rarely have any breakdowns. later, pete

3. Lawn Enforcer

How much do you typically spend on an "old" plow truck? I would also use the truck in my lawn business in summer-

4. Lawn Enforcer

Anybody else with comments?

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My trucks are older than most too, but I have no problems spending the $ on them to keep them going because

a)my yearly repairs are less than one payment on a new, not nearly as HD truck

b)they earn me a ton of money so they get the best

c)I know no one would ever pay me what they are worth to me, so I know that I will be the last owner of them until they are totalled or the frame fails so bad it can't be fixed. May as well keep it alive.

The last plow truck I bought was the '78 which I believe I paid around $1800US for on ebay. Had it roadworthy with about $200 and some parts out of my stash in the yard. Another $800 for the Boss V-plow, $100 controller, $20 wiring harness... you get the picture. The point is I had it out as a front-runner for two seasons now for under $3500, while its income has been somewhere in the $30-40000 range. In the spring, its getting a new body/paint job to the tune of about $1500 and I'm going to throw in a used low mileage motor (with some fresh rings and bearings) while the doghouse is off. Truck will be good (physically) for another 5 years or so with only repairs and maintenance, and of course oilspraying/undercoating.

An old truck can make you just as much income as a new truck, but if you are the slightest bit mechanically inclined, it WILL keep more of that income in your pocket.

6. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I've never had new equipment other than the plow, in fact I currently plow with a "96" GMC 2500HD and a new 860 SpeedWing. It is much less expensive to maintain your equip. than purchase new. I usually figure 10% of my gross for maintenance on the equip. Generally it's less but I budget for 10%. If you're not a cowboy and treat your eq. right, you should get along just fine. Thanx for your time, Al

7. Lawn Enforcer

Thanks guys! I was going to put a plow on the Jeep, but it is also my Dad's daily driver, so I don't want him to not have his Jeep to drive to work (38 miles away) every time it snows, plus if I get the truck, I can save wear and tear on my '05 Ram 1500 because I am buying a 7x14 enclosed this spring. Thanks and keep the comments coming!