1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Highway Vibration

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by R&R Repair, Feb 22, 2007.

1. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

Hi all,
    Hre's my issue. I have an 02 Ram 2500 5.9 V-8 Auto, Plow prep, camper package SLT Laramie...This damn truck has had a vibration at 65-80mph for over 2 years now and not one dealer out of 5 can find the issue norr can I....I have rebuilt the front end, 4 sets of driveshafts, 4 sets of tires, new steering gear, new transfer case and a reman tranny.
    Any thoughts????? Please! Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When you say 4 drive shafts does that include the front one? Has replacing any of the parts you mentioned changed the vibration at all? Sound like you changed everything from the torque converter back, but what about the engine? Does it change with engine rpm? Have your checked things like the harmonic balancer or the fan? If your running in the speed at which it vibrates,say 70mph and you manually down shift to a lower gear to change the rpm's while maintaining the same speed, does the vibration change?

3. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

I had front end vibration and had to change the harmonic balancer, along with the stabilizer bar on my 97 Ram and the steering wheel damper and stabilizer bar on my 05 Ram.

4. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I’ll take it you have looked at your front housing, axles CV joints and bearings in front end (if not look at all that stuff)

1st Check your wheels… take the tires off.
    Tires and weights off the wheels, put them on spin balancer and turn it on look at the wheel lip (front and back of all wheels) see if it moves more then 1/8 of an inch. If it is then wheel is bent.

2nd thing is look at rear end, check axles for a bent axle or bad bearing, check housing for caster/camber issues

3 rd check all springs. Bushings u-joints in the rear coils and A arms in the front

5. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

both front and rear drive shafts have been replaced twice, new fan clutch, new front springs, 3 alignments, wheels have been checked, have tried 4 different sets of tires, tune-up, new track arm on front end, new u joints on front axles, new ball joints, new wheel hubs, we have done it all my friends , yes the vibration changes a little with rpm however it only happens at highway speeds, the same rpm off highway will not produce the vibration???????????? It has been to like 5 dealers in two years...I love my truck but the dealers drive it more than me! I'm about ready to drive it through the front window of the dealer who sold it as a Dodge certified used truck.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When you installed the reman tranny,did you also replace the torque converter? I'd assume you did but just wanted to check. After all the parts you changed out has ANY of it make any difference at all?

7. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Im with plow dude,check the harmonic balancer,and also look at the motor mounts.

I have an electric fan on my dakota that vibrates the hole truck when it kicks on,not sure if its fighting against the clutch fan or what.

8. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

As far as the tranny, driveshafts, and transfer case it was all done by the dealer under warranty. So I haven't a clue you would figure so but who the hell knows with Chrysler. I am a mechanic and have been through the truck top to bottom myself and can't find a hint. Usually when a harmonic balancer fails it begins to break apart. Or you see corrosion. Just my thinking but hell at this point anything is worth trying. I ahve tried to work this out with the Chrysler rep. but god forbid that he return a phone call or do his job...Any one have any Chrysler contacts??????

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Usually yes, but sometime's the outer ring will slip a little and make the balancer "out of balance" Most of the time when you have an imbalance problem with the balancer you can usually duplicate the vibration just by free revving the engine.
    in nuetral?

10. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

it must be a dodge thing i have a 2001 1500 4x4 off road edition and my truck i feel a vibration at just 80mph above and below are fine just 80.

11. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

I don't know but I've had enough...Dodge has given up and I think their certified used is a bunch of crap because if they can't fix it they just expect you to live with it...I wish mine was just at 80 mph...I can't even think about highway speeds without cringing and gritting my teeth....Even the Chrysler rep hasn't got a clue...he wants me to trade it in but why should I take a hit over a problem thats not mine???? Am I wrong?

12. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

Anybody else with some ideas???????Please!!!

13. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

I had an 2002 ram 2500 with the gasser, I got the truck real cheap because it was turned in as a lemon because they could not find out what was causing a vibration in the front end, the dealer I bought it from found and finally fixed the problem, they said it ended up being the propeller shaft. It was supposedly in the shop 15 times for the same problem, until it was finally found and fixed. Had the truck 2 years before I bought my 2004 2500 CTD, and never had a problem with it....Might be worth a check.