1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Highway spreaders???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sawbones25, Nov 12, 2005.

1. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

I'm looking at a used spreader. He says it's a "Highway P" spreader.

Does anyone have any info on these, good or bad?

It's about 10 years old but it was oiled and stored for the last several years...

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Hiway makes a good product.

Hiway makes a good product,all comes down to what shape it is in.
    http://www.highwayequipment.com/

3. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Hi-WAy Model HP

I will have to agree that HI-Way makes a fine product. I have owned one going on the 4 season, around 200 hours on the meter and have no problems. Of course I make sure it is summerized each spring and always well greased. The one I own has a removable chute, does the one your buying have this. The reason we went with Hi-Way (materials used in hopper) and display with RPM's and Hour meter.....:cool:

4. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

Well I'm glad it gets some good ratings. I went ahead and bought it already...

In the pictures he sent, it didn't look like the chute was removeable.

It's got some surface rust but no complete rot. He says everything works good. I'm going to try and pick it up next weekend. I'll post results then.

Thanks.

5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Highway Super P

We have 2 highway super P 10 foot spreaders. One is stainless steel and one is mild steel. The ss model is very nice and worth the extra money. I like there customer support and parts are easy to get. My next spreader will be a highway SS model. Less maintenance on the v box.

Dave

6. LawnzzzANDsnow

LawnzzzANDsnow Junior Member

Sabones25 I'm looking for one also keep your ears open. .

7. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

super p for sale

I ordered a stainless steel super p. I am selling the mild steel unit at first of yr. It needs a chute and engine cover. Would not mind selling to someone OUT of the area. New conveyor, drive chains, engine speed control and clutch is 2 yrs old with all new bearings.

Unit was purchased in 99

Just upgrading equipment

Dave

8. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

In addition to the one posted above, there are three available on Ebay right now.

Ebay Link

They are up in New Jersey. Which is closer than I went to get mine...

SkykingHD, is it best to just contact Hi-Way for parts? There are no dealers near me...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  9. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

contact Highway Products

They have an 800 number. They sell to Cenweld here in Akron Ohio area. They wont sell direct to me. You can call and see who is closest or maybe they will sell direct as no outlet in your area. Give it a try.

1-800-363-1771
    Highway Equipment Company
    Cedar Rapids Iowa

Dave

10. dirkels3

dirkels3 Junior Member

Hi-way junk in my opinion

We have a P model hi-way salt spreader and we have yet to be able to spread two loads of salt one right after the other. So far it has needed 2 new motors, new conveyor and other assorted problems. We have not gotten very much help from the hi-way dealer and are looking into a different brand of spreader.

11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

highway problems

Call the Highway company and talk to tech support. They are very good to pass information on to you. I can not say enough good about the company. I always got the straight scoop from them. Sorry to hear about the bad service from the dealer.

Dave

12. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

I talked to Hi-Way today, they only sell through dealers, and the closest one is in New Jersey...
    So I called the previous owner and got the number of the place he dealt with because I remember him saying they were good.
    So I called them and ordered what I needed.

dirkels3,
    The one I bought is ten years old and has been used a lot. Luckily the previous owners took care of it. I've haven't loaded it yet, but I have had it running and so far everything is smooth.
    For my sake though, I hope yours was just a lemon and not all Hi-Way spreaders break after one load... :eek:
    Let us know what else you find.

13. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

standard items on unit

If you look at all spreaders that are engine driven you will see a briggs and Stratton engine, an electric lawn mower clutch, a right angle grear box and bearings with a conveyer. Highway just makes the metal parts that hold all this stuff. Bearings and chains and sprockets are all made by other people and pretty bullet proof. This unit is very simple.
    I think the main problem with these units is they spread salt. Steel, copper wire, electric then add some salt. That combination is very distructive they require maintenance lots of it.

Dave

14. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

Well, Monday I finally got to test it out...

I dropped one load of salt. Turned the motor off on the way to get reloaded. So when I go to restart it, I pull the ignition switch and hit the button, and nothing happens.
    I finally figure out it's wire going to the solenoid that's bad. I can still start it, I just have to get out and jump the solenoid.

So I drop the second load, go back and get reloaded, then we went on standby for a few hours. I'm confident at this point because I can get it started, etc... So I go back out at 4am, get it running, I'm mainly just plowing now so I'm only dropping salt where needed, It runs for about an hour and slowly putters out. It's full of gas, oil, wires are all tight, pulled the spark plug out and cleaned it, still nothing. Luckily I didn't really need to salt much more.

Today I ran it over to a friends house (small motor wizard), he changes the spark plug and it fires right up and runs like a champ... :rolleyes:
    So I'm going to rewire the 6 pin connector and see if I can start it from in the cab again...

I can't complain too much, I know my luck, and if that's all the trouble I have out of it then it's fine. I already made back the money I spent on the thing with just that one little storm we had on Monday. payup
    Course, now that I've said that, it'll probably explode next time I start it... :rolleyes:

15. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

air cooled engines

You are on a learning curve. Here is some help. Get some dielectric grease and put on the control cable plug. That keeps moisture and salt brine out of plug so it wont corrode. Silicone grease is what it is called.

Spark plug is an item you carry with you as if you flood them one time the plug is junk. I use the choke very lightly when trying to start it warm. I am not afraid to change the spark plug as you have to get the hang of operating the spreader.

The exhaust. You need to check the exhaust system on that spreader. Sometimes the exhaust collects under hood and the engine dies. To check this out open hood and spread when it starts to die for no reason. I think the new spreaders have a different exhaust system.

Good luck they are a good spreader. I have a new one on order to replace an older unit now.

Dave

16. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

The inside of the plug is coated, it's the wire itself before the connector that's corroded. I'm going to cut the wires shorter and put a new connector on as there is some corrosion in the back side of the connector also.
    When the thing died on me I was thinking it was the magneto by the way the idle slowed over time. And since I checked and cleaned the plug I figured it was good. Lesson learned. I will have an extra plug with me from now on.
    I'll keep that in mind if it happens again.
    Thanks.