1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Highway Shimmy

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Kuzanut, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Picked up an 03 1500. with aprox 170,000 mile on it and the only problem is that above 60 MPH there is a shimmy similar to having unbalanced wheels. i have put new tires on the truck and changed the tie rod ends butit still shimmy's. Anyone have idea's? Someone told me it might be bad CV's in the front or a bend drive shaft.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

How old are the brakes?? It might be possible you have an unbalanced rotor, try the parking brake while moving. The inner drum of the e brake shoes might be warped causing the vibration.

Also try moving the front tires to the rear and vise versa. See if the vibration changes any?? Any idea of where the shimmy is originating?? Have you checked the rear drive shaft for play ant the universals???
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

This happen to me, didn't feel a thing till I got the expressway and hit about 73.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Does that truck have a leveling kit on the front?

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

No, tortion bars in 03.
  6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I had a simular shimmy on a toyota once that had aftermarket rims. Turns out I had the wrong lug nuts. Are the wheels on it stock?
  7. Cromer_22

Cromer_22 Junior Member

I'd say CV assembly... beings i have an 04 1500 hemi and go through a set every plow season.I have a leveling kit installed its a torsion bar key! oh and watch out for the wheel bearing assembly they are pricey and they like to eat them for snacks tymusic
  8. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Ok to answer your questions in order.

I have not tried rotating the tires because it had the shimmy with the old tires and still does after i had new ones installed.

I replaced the front rotor's sometime within the last year. but the same thing. it shimmied before and after. Also i think its coming from the front end.

I will crawl under and check the u-joints on the drive shaft after dinner.

The vehicle still has the stock rims and no leveling kit. I do have timbrens but like the new tires it shimmied before and after.

Cromer, just curious how many miles do you put on ur truck during plow season?

Thanks for the input guys.
  9. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

i checked the rear drive shaft u-joints today and they appear rock solid. there was no play. should i be looking at the CV's now?
  10. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I have the 2500 but have had the shimmie and I finall replaced the entire front drive shaft and u-joints and a kit from Chrysler and problem solved. I tried to do the u-joints by themselves, but no fix. Changed it all as an assembly. Whola... No more shakes
  11. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

does the IFS drag the front drive shaft like the old solid front axle set up?