1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Highlighter Wire Gauge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Oct 18, 2005.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a Highlighter on ebay last year and the cord was cut off because it was permanent mounted. I rewired it with a cigarette plug. The wire's 18 awg and gets pretty warm. I was wondering what gauge I should rewire it with and what size the stock wire is?

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

is there any specs on the light, like watts, etc. and how far do you plan on running the light cord.

3. DaySpring Services

It has 2-55 watts bulbs. I only need to run the cord about 3 feet. I ran a switched outlet behind the rear seats.

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

2 55 watt bulbs= 110 total watts

Current on 12 volt system:

P=V x I

110 = 12 x I

110/12= 9.1 amps

Add 50% for safety... so about 13 amps 14 guage (which is rated for 15 amps) should do the trick...

5. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

We have some electricians on here;) Nice work :salute:

6. DaySpring Services

I took an electrical coarse in school. I just dont remember any of the formulas. I'll have to find my old notebooks lol. Any thanks for the help!!