1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Highligher Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snoworks, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I bought a used highlighter a couple of months ago. I installed it on a back rack, but did not connect the wiring.

My question is how does this light work. It has two wires coming out of the casing; red an white. I have tried a couple of different ways of getting power to the unit, but nothing seems to work.

Thought I would go back to basics and figure out what the red and white wires are for!

Am I missing a wire, I thought there should be ground, power and on/off. Any suggestions!

Chuck B.:rolleyes:

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

My highlighter had 2 wires,black and red,red was juice and black was ground(you prob. knew that anyways)if you were to connect each wire to a battery it should work(for test purposes only)try it both ways,if not it might be something inside the light?I don't think there is more than 2 wires to run that,at least not on mine.

3. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

There should be only 2 wires.A positive and a ground.The ground will connect to the light housings.The positive will go to the light bulb and motor.I dont know which color is which because the ones i have are magnet mount and use a cig lighter plug but the wiring would be the same.

4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Take the plastic dome off (4 small screws) make sure the wires inside are connecting and are making a connection. sometimes the wire looks good but may be lose, can make everything not work, especially if it's a ground. What color are the two wires inside? They origionally came red+black, if someone re-wired them maybe there backwards. I once saw someone use a red wire to indicate "ground". electricals are always fun!! Also try taking two wires from a battery or charger, or anything and bypass the wiring there, touch them directly to the contact points inside of the highlighter, might trun out to be a bad motor. GOOD LUCK

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Actually the 2 wires that come out of it will work either way you hook it up. I cut the cig plug & couldnt remember what was what so I just hooked it up & noticed it was flashing counter clockwise. I simply reversed the wired & it flashed clockwise. Maby someone hooked the wrong wires up (wire connectors) inside the unit?

6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Actually the 2 wires that come out of it will work either way you hook it up. I cut the cig plug & couldnt remember what was what so I just hooked it up & noticed it was flashing counter clockwise. I simply reversed the wired & it flashed clockwise. Maby someone hooked the wrong wires up (wire connectors) inside the unit?

7. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Sno

It has been my experience with them is you remove the cap, exposing the pointy colored tip, then push against the paper sliding across the information you want to retain for future use. This causes an ink trail that stands out dramatically against the white background of the book or paper that your reading.

Hope this helps.

CMerrick

PS I really need to get out of the office more.

8. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

CMer

Was it a big fat green highlighter or a little skinny yellow marker?

9. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Just test it.

I would start with testing the wires you are hooking into for power to be sure it's there, then just follow the wire to the first contact point inside the cover. Then follow the contact points until the last motor or light inline. (Replace any bad items) If that proves nothing wrong, start testing the motors and lights starting with the first inline, and work to the last. The easiest way to test them if don't have electrical testing equipment would be to use a 9 volt bat, one of the small ones you use in the house with the contact points on top, rectangular in shape, they will not put a full push on the motor or light you are testing, but enough to make it move or light up, just use a wire from each end to the contacts you are testing. Doing this will sometimes reveal a bad contact that you can solder back to contact.(Replace/solder any bad items).

My .02 worked for me, good luck. If you don't get it to work let me know what you want for it. :drinkup:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2003
  10. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Thanks for the responses, I got it working last nite. I connected the wiring to my cargo lamp switch. Works and looks great, with no aftermarket switches.

Chuck B.:D

11. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Sure, make me write all of that then just fix it on your own... Just kidding, glad to hear its working, did you try the wires both ways? The only reason I ask is because I notice on the ones that I run right now, they did spin and light being hooked up both ways, but for some reason, the were faster one way and slower the other, Just a thought if it seems slow you might check it. Again glad to hear it works... Congrats.:D