1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Highest Amperage V-Belt Alternator?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by russ130, Feb 4, 2009.

1. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Here is my dilema. My alternator is going on my 78 chevy. It is under a lifetime warranty and I have the option of upgrading it to a higher amperage model. I currently can get by with the 63 amp that was stock on these but in the near future I think I will need more than 63 amps. I was wondering can I get an upgrade kit that I can install in the 63 amp to make it say 100 amp? Is there a particuliar vehicle that used a higher amp and v-belt? If neither of these are viable are there any sites that you could recommend for high amp alternators?

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i was told by a local alternator/starter repair place not to go higher than 100amp in old chevy's like yours and mine because the wires can't handle it. this guys rebuilds your alternator or gives you one right off the shelf that he's already done so you may want to call around to your local places. i'm not positive but i believe autozone and advance auto parts sell 100amp models as well.

3. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Skynyrd - From what I gather that is absolutely true but can be worked around by replacing with a lower gauge wire. I have also since posting the OP found a 200 amp but I think it is going to be very expensive. I have not found any kind of upgrade kits. So at this point I'm looking for something I can trade up to by using the warranty. So if someone knows of a vehicle that uses this style alt. but runs say 100 amps that is what I would want to know.

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

ah i gotcha now. do you have any "old school" parts stores around your area? if you have an old timer i would imagine he would be able to tell you what uses a 100amp one. we used to have a guy like that at ours. man i miss him. good luck

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

6. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

2cor - Thanks for the link that info was verfy useful and has in fact sparked some new interest in other areas after I get the alternator done. Yes the 94 amp 12si would definately be a consideration if I was going to go with one alt. I think the actual best scenario for me is to get a 100 amp 10si made for a desiel and when I do get a newer plow then go with dual alternators and batteries. But thanks to your link I will be upgrading the alt wire to a min. of 8 ga.. I will also be building a relay center to run my lights and ignition from under the hood.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Go with a 4 gauge charging wire or even bigger if your going that route....not much money for a premade wire at autozone or something...just did the alternator setup in my sig and got a 4ga. wire for like $5 with ends.....JMO

8. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I have 25' of 2 ga. wire I pulled from a Blazer before I used it for a trade-in. I will use that since I won't need 25' to wire an amp on a pick-up. I also have 6 ga. and 8 ga. for wiring from the junction block to the relays and then on to the lights and ignition. I'm going to install the starter relay from a ford to fix the hot start problems associated with my model of Chevy. I'm going to use 1/0 wire for both sides of the relay and also for ground though I may go to 2/0 for ground. I'm also going to install 2 ground straps both from the motor to the frame and from the motor to the body so 4 in all. I think that will beef up the electrical enough for now. If I'm forgetting anything please speak up. I'm doing this work Saturday since its really too cold for it today. Sunday I'm building a custom rear bumper so I may post pics of that build on this site. To be honest I usually don't waste time taking pictures when doing something like that.

9. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Russ,
    cowan auto supply in greenfield is an old time parts store the don't need a computer to tell you what will fit. Jerry in the machine shop there rebuilds alternators/starters and knows his stuff. everything he has ever told me matches what I have read here.

I know a guy who does a lot of older chevy work like engine swaps,dually blazers and diesel s10s(yes it is possible to fit a v8 diesel inside an s10) he will know what has a high amp alternator that will fit and probably have on in his yard.
    haleconstructionservicesATgmail.com
    Lou

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  10. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Dual alts and dual batteries? Are we talking an 80 Ft., 3000 lb plow. Why the overkill? I have never used dual batteries not to mention dual alts. Holy Crap. Keep a good, no older than 3 year old battery, and make sure you test your alt every fall. Why pour money into something like that? I have my local local auto electric service center build up my alts to 95 Amps and I've been good to go for years.

11. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Grampa - The reason for the overkill is because I don't want to do it again. As far as the dual alts. I am going to wait til I actually have a need for them first. Same holds true for dual batts..

BigLou80 - I used to live in Greenfield and remember Cowans along with a ton of other places lol. What a great town it is. I used to go to the plains as they were called over in Turners and do a lot of wheelin and a fair share of drinking too. I haven't been up that way in a while, is Famous Bill's still in business?

Ok for anyone who gives a damn here is a little update. I have been swapping over a lot of the wiring today and have found a lot of questionable wiring inside the looms. I have the 1/0 battery cables which are custom made from welding wire already installed. The alternator bat. wire I went with 6 ga since I couldn't find the 2 ga I have packed away somewhere so it will be 6 ga til it turns up. I am using 8 ga to go to the relays and 10 ga for the ignition hot wire. I am buying some nice 2 ga wire for my ground straps tomorrow and will be wiring my choke up the right way. I got tied up driving my kids around a bit today so I didn't get everything finished I wanted to.

12. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

The plains are still there people are still wheelin in them its been a few years for me but I think everyone does the same thing up there.

I am not sure if Bills is still in business I know it has been sold a few times, last I heard the guy owed money to the mob. I am going up there to visit my parents later today and I will look and see if they are open

Lou

13. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Quick update, the wiring is now complete. I chased down a lot of bad wiring but it was well worth it. I feel this definitely saved me at least a tow considering the shape of some of the wires. The alt is working great and the headlights are very bright. Tomorrow I start the rear bumper project.