1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Higher output alternator help needed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WOODY367, Dec 20, 2004.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have a 86 Ford F250 5.8l. it has the stock 45 amp 9I think0 alternator in it. I want to put a 70 or 90 amp alt. in it. The problem is it has the factory external voltage regulator in it. Th feed wire from the alt. to reg. is 14 or 16 ga. wire. How do you use a higher amp alt. with the factory volt reg when the feed wire is so small. It won't allow enough amps thru it :confused: . Any help would be great. Thanks

2. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Sorry the truck is a 1981 with external regulator. The site won't let me edit my post?

3. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

rockauto.com shows the stock ones and the 90 amp ones for 28$-100$.I have orderd form them before and they have been good.If u need more help drop me a pm.I get a dealer discount at ford and will be happy to get u a price on one if u like to save u some $.