1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

High Voltage?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MikeRi24, Nov 4, 2012.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Got in my '99 K2500 7.4 yesterday and it would not start. I got the starter engage click but no crank. The starter, and all power/ground cables in the whole vehicle were replaced earlier this year. I had a hard time believing the problem to be the stater, but I took it out anyway to have it tested (its easy enough). As figured, it tested out fine. I noticed a ton of corrosion on the surface which the stater mounts to the block. Knowing thats how the starter is grounded, I took a lot of time and cleaned it and the corresponding surface on the starter REALLY good. Bolted everything back together and presto it started right up!

The problem is, I noticed as soon as I started it back up, that the volt gauge was reading really high, like almost to 19 volts. The volt gauge has always read a BIT high, but never more than like 14.5-15.5 volts. I pulled out the multi-meter and checked voltage and got the following results:

At battery with truck off: 12.56
    At battery vehicle running: 14.56
    At alternator with vehicle running: 14.77

Seems fine to me? could the gauge just be going bad and its just a coincidence it happened at the same time as the starter? or is there an under-lying cause to all of this?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would say coincident,,,,my old one would go really high then back dwn I would add a gnd at the alt tho