1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

High Visibility Gear

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oman1999, Jan 10, 2007.

1. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

How many of us are actually wearing safety gear that is High Visibility. I know for certain that I will be outside my truck at least a dozen time during every event. Checking plows, filling wiper fluid, cleaning mirrors, etc.

How about pulling stuck drivers or other trucks in my crew? I've had a few close calls even with the hazards and strobes running. They could see my truck but not me. Of course, being an idiot...I wear dark Carhartt bibs with a fleece liner that is black.

Before the last storm I decided to quit fighting it and ordered a Class III ANSI 3 season jacket with a zip-out fleece liner. This thing is LOUD. Bright orange with reflective stripes. Same as the highyway guys and some fire / EMT guys.

I think it saved my AZZ a few times and give a little more professional appearance than just a dark jacket or heaven forbid the Harley Davidson sweatshirt. lol

I'm so convinced with the High Vis. stuff that I had high Vis strips sewed on my bibs and on two pair of my flannel lined pants. These are now my dedicated plowing / inclement weather gear. Hopefully a little investment will make sure I can get home safe after every storm.

Are we ready in IL and the midwest. Looks like we have some fun brewing for the weekend.
  2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Not a bad idea, can't say I ever thought of it for messin around along side the road. I gotta look into that some. Weather wise, for up here I only see flurries to low accumilation predicted, grrrr. I want some snow that will make my-will call jobs call me.
  3. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I would think, if the price is cheap, then go for it. Sounds like a plan that cannot go wrong.
  4. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I'm sure my life is worth more than a reflective vest or jacket. Good thread thanks for the idea.
  5. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I just bought an ANSI Class 3 Jacket with zip-out fleece liner for 149.99 plus shipping. Got it from Galls.com which is a division of Aramark.

At first it thought 150.00 was a bit much for the coat. But with the removable liner, I can wear it as a combo or as a raincoat or just the liner if I don't want to be orange. They call it a 3 season coat. HaHa.

It sure beats my other coat....black coat, dark pants, black hat. I wonder why cars and other fast moving stuff didn't see lil ol' me.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I like the lime green.
    It seems to glow brighter than orange does in low light.
  7. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Was mandatory for us....

I have been wearing at least a vest,Hard hat and steel toed boots for any work outside of the truck since 93.......My plowing contracts didn't require it but my hauling ones did.....Now we need the ten hour OSHA class to get on to allot of job sites.I think in MA and RI the 10 hour class is mandatory for any union job site...
    Even with all the safety gear I have been almost run over a few times,mostly with our seniors and in the Fall.....We had a Maine DOT surveyor killed this summer and he was on the shoulder of the road....
    Be careful on the road!!!!!!
  8. Oshkosh

Good Call

Allot of the DOT's are going to the lime Green over the orange..I think Maine has started the transition...
  9. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

Lime Green Clothing

In springe 04 we went to all Lime green shirts and Sweatshits plus jackets.Best move I made.Plus people ask for shirts all the time because of the color.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have noticed that!

Around here anything to do with pedestrians, like cross walk signs etc,etc, are all changing to lime green also.
  11. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

We use ansi 2 class org vest like the org better than the lime green.

me (Large).jpg
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  12. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Did buy a set of pants ks81 to go full ansi 3 but they wont work so we are going to make our own with this and org dickie pants 874 traditional aw direct sells them but they are a over pant and we have to many things on our belts.Radios, knives, lites ect. and hard to get into the pockets.

ansi3 pants.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  13. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

my guys wear the class 3 vests we use during the summer, i think its a necessity. we had one guy last year slip and twist his ankle while snow blowing a big industrial complex.. found him right away with the vest in the middle of a snow storm...
  14. Oshkosh

15. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I agree that the Lime Green Vests and Coats are probably higher visibility at night but I feel that the color is fugly. So I went with the orange because like it or not, this will be my new coat as I'm retiring my old black Carhartt knock-off to back-up coat.

I like the idea of being able to wear the outerlayer of the coat without the liner for warmer temps or if i'll be in the truck and not shoveling or doing any outside work. I've been almost run over by idiots in the local shopping center lot at night and during the day.

One downfall: Cannot hide from any law enforcement when wearing ANSI 3 clothing. Ha
  16. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

my towing vest is an orange one and the one in my truck is lime i like them both
  17. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Did you buy this online? if so what website?

Is this the one you bought? If so, its qutie a bit cheaper.

Thank you.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  18. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare Member
    from Indiana

I went to Lime green shirts for the summer, really makes you stand out in a customers lawn, have not made the switch yet for plowing, but is a really good idea.
  19. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

It's the fire-rescue style 3 season coat.

Part # JA011

I got turned on to it by the guys at my local City Street Department. It's actually a Police, Fire Rescue system. Has zips on the sides for a duty weapon, which is really nice if you've ever driven a tow truck. City pays $300.00 for the same coat from a different company. This one cost me $172.92 with tax and shipping from Galls, they are a division of Aramark. I've never had anything bad from them ever. I really like their steel toe, cold weather zipper-boots.

ANSI Class 3 Waterproof & Breathable System Jacket w/ Liner

Excellent for when you need a jacket that keeps you warm and dry or just dry, all while maintaining the highest standard of visibility. Outershell when worn alone or with liner adheres to Class 3 standard with 360° 3M® Scotchlite® retroreflective material.

Waterproof, breathable and windproof VizMax™ outershell with taped seams and treated with a stain-resistant finish
    Black quilted liner can be worn on its own (is not ANSI-compliant)
    Waterproof hood drops in to its own pocket
    Outdoor performance sleeve provides freedom of movement with adjustable snap & elastic sleeve closure
    Pit zips for ventilation
    Stormproof snap fly over a heavy duty Delrin™ zipper
    Inside zippered security pocket
    Zips up from waistband to collar to keep cold out
    Snow- and waterproof handwarmer pockets are lined with microfleece
    Machine wash and dry
    Made in USA of imported materials
  20. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA