1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

High traffic walks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by qualitycut, Jan 27, 2009.

1. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I do some house on the U of M campus and when I get there the city walks are so packed sown it seems imposable to get to the pavement. Any suggestions also no salt.

Thanks.

2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

If you have a dingo or something to scrape it but besides that on our town walkways when we show up they are packed down pretty well. Just scape and then we salt them pretty heavy but that's all I can offer sorry I don't have a labor free way of doing it.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Hand shovels???

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Ice scraper with a metal edge will usually take up packed snow. doesen't work as good with ice.

5. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

skid bucket- down pressure and it has the sharp edge to get under the packed snow.

6. qualitycut

Ya some are 3 inch trigger so it can get pretty packed down and its a PITA.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

pretreat?...

8. qualitycut

They are cheap a$$ landlords that dont want to pay for any extras.

9. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

1.pretreat and use a bobcat with their ice scraper

2. use a bobcat with a rotary brush. use a brush with a steel bristle. might take several passes.

3 use a dethatcher with flail blades. Set the depth on dry payment so that the blades are just touching the concrete. Shovel the remains after several passes. You can use the Lesco renevator and load the seed bin with Urea 46-0-0. You can go to your nearest Lesco/John Deere Landscapes store to rent one to try it out however their blades are solid so you have to be careful.

4 there is an attachment to a snow blower that just got a patent that will do the job but costs around 1500.00, probably will be on the market soon.

10. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

then dont worry its not your problem

11. qualitycut

Thats kind of what I was thinking.

12. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

with a 3" trigger and no salt I would say that they probably don't care if it's packed down... It would be cheaper for them to pay you to salt and come more often than to spend all day there trying to scrape it up. My guess is that they don't care...

13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If your just doing this by hand, no equipment, then I would get a flat floor scraper, or a steel flat shovel. Plastic snow shovels won't get down to bare concrete very well.

14. siewertenterpri

siewertenterpri Junior Member

Just a thought what about a propane torch to soften the hard pack up and use a shovel to remove it?

15. ooxteme

ooxteme Junior Member

a flame thrower? haha... I like the pretreat idea the best, less physical labor involed

16. siewertenterpri

siewertenterpri Junior Member

I would prefer salt but if they don't want to pay for salt they wont pay for pretreatment

17. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I second the idea of using a mini skid with a bucket. By varying the angle and dp you should be able to get down to the pavement pretty well.

18. CJSLAWNSERVICE

CJSLAWNSERVICE Senior Member

a landlord for a frat house won't pay for all this heavy equipment like the guy has been saying...... shovel or nothing...unless hes willing to pay

19. Runner

Runner Senior Member

LOL! I was going to say,...if they aren't going o pay for a bag of salt, I don't think they're going to pay for a skid loader. Another thing to consider it this...If they aren't willing to pay, it PROBably isn't worth your time. Don't get caught up in hard scraping, and putting extra time into it, just because of the cheap minded landlord that doesn't care.Don't think for a MINUTE that he isn't making bucks off that place for their rent. If he wants that liability of someone being able to fall, that is his problem. Personally, I wouldn't be TOUCHing this place, because don't think for a New York MINUTE that YOU won't be named in a lawsuit, too. Afterall, they hired YOU to maintain it.

20. tgumby4

tgumby4 Junior Member

I do some apartments around West Virginia University and had the same problems. Most of my foot traffic happens after midnight. I just started clearing the most with shovels then using limestone chips as a traction aid on the hard packed areas. I do use some salt also. Makes a little mess but most of the foot is just passing through not entering the apartments.