1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

High Temp

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Steeley, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Steeley

Steeley Junior Member
    from Maine

I have a GMC 2003 2500HD and the temp on the transmision get up to around 200 degrees, is this normal or is there something I can do about it? I told the dealer and they said it is normal, I haul a 18 foot enclosed trailer all summer and it runs 150 degrees. The truck is at the dealer now gettin a diferent clutch fan because the coolant temp get overheat all this last storm, the cluthc fan was under waranty.
    thanks for any info, Steeley
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

thats normal.......you have a allison or a 4l80e?
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

180 to 200 degrees is normal
  4. capital

capital Senior Member

The new clutch fan will bring your temps down they have a problem with the blade restricting the air flow..............if you begin to run hot you should notice this when moving between sites. We have found if we angle the blade slightly left or right the temps fall back down. The crews have not reported any problems when actually plowing .........only when moving between sites.

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

you must have a 6.0 4L80E because my duramax/allison trans gauge barley moves plowing or transport!
  6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

The B&M gauge I'm putting in considers up to 250- normal. And they measure after its been through the coolers (where the install sheet recommended putting the sending unit).
  7. mark in da soo

mark in da soo Junior Member

You may want to check out the "Chevy Truck Discussion" forum- this subject has been covered extensively! If you click on the "2500hd's overheating" thread you will discover there are more of us having this same overheating problem than you care to know about! Good Luck and please let us know if you have any luck with your dealer fixing the problem.
  8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Do the search on overheating...GM was not putting the proper fan clutch in the plow prep package... They have a bulletin on it, only most dealers don't want to search for it. The correct clutch will solve your problem...Chuck
  9. mark in da soo

mark in da soo Junior Member

any suggestions on how to get my dealer to find the bulletin?
    I can't seem to get them to do anything since "they have never heard of such a problem". I have tried on the other forum to get someone to post the TSB number but have had no luck. Any help would be appreciated!