1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

High tech thought

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by cat320, Jul 31, 2003.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I just had a thought it may have already been said .With all the digital cameras out there if you have a new guy that will be plowing for you take some pics with the digital camera and give him a lap top.That way he will have all the customer info and some pics of how there property is layed out.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

That would work.I would just be afraid of what happens to the laptop when he's not paying attention.I guess you could also use a pocket PC,or Palm device too,just the pics would be smaller.Hey,some of these fancy new phones even have color displays,which can show pics.Wouldn't that be neat.Guy calls and asks what to do,and you can send a pic right to his phone to show him what to do.

I have put pics in with our route sheets,which show obstacles and snow piling areas.The pics are a lot better than a 2 dimensional drawing,which can easily be misread.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Like Chris said, a route binder is the way to go. Pics of each site, along with a diagram showing where to stack snow, highlighted obstacles, and notes for each site. The sites go in the binder in the order they are on the route sheet.

Also in the binder is a list of contact numbers for supervisors, etc.

Also include different route sheets for various scenarios, such as what sites to plow or salt at 2", what sites get pre-salted, call in procedures for sub contractors, and much more. Pre-trip inspection sheets for the truck and plow, the load list for that particular route.... Places to get fuel on the route, and if they are open 24 hours, places to use a rest room at 2am......

A map with each of the sites on it, so a person not familiar with the route can see how close together the sites are....

~Chuck

4. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

cat320;

Okay, I'll sub out to you this winter, when do I get the laptop?

I use the method Chuck and Chris describe.

Rick

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Sorry to say I still do it the flinstone way by pure memory.I don't have alot of accounts but i remember what to do at each one.The only bad thing is if some one has to go do them if I get sick(like that would ever happen)Then i have to go to paper lol.I was in bestbuy and the idea just came to me with seeing the laptops and cameras not that every one else has not had the same idea.I just think that it's good if you have alot of places ,for one you can make notes then just transfere them when you make the bill out since it would be on the computer already .Pluse being able to read them .

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I started doing that last year. Reminds me where the "push-off" places and the drop-offs are. Things look a lot different with a covering of snow. You can't always tell lot boundaries, ditches or obstacles (like well heads).

7. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Having some pre-season photos in a binder is an interesting concept. May also come in handy if customer claims something is wrong and your fault. Might not hurt to take a photo of a finished plow job as well as for comparison sake and or reference.

"You see, Mrs. Knowitall, that statue of a naked Venus was located smack in the center of your front yard prior to plowing season. You'd better check with any neighboring hoodlums as to how it ended up atop your chimney before blaming me!" :p

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Pre-season photos are a must,especially for residentials.Make an appointment,and make sure the customer sees you taking pictures.They never complain about mysterious damages because they know we already have the proof in hand.