1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

high stall converter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by midnightsun13, Jan 8, 2007.

1. midnightsun13

midnightsun13 Junior Member

anyone running a higher than stock stall converter in their plow truck?
    i need a new one and tci has a high torque/towing converter that increases rpms by like 300.......and can decrease trans temps by 20*...ill also probably be installing a trans cooler when i put this in...anyone wanna sell me a small trans temp guage?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A high stall converter is not a good idea in a plow truck. All it's gonna do is produce additional heat and transfer it into the fluid, which is hard enough to keep cool in some plowing situation's.Over 80% of the heat in a transmission is generated by the torque converter, you don't want to add more with a high stall converter! Now I'm familiar with the converter that your referring to and if you look at it again you'll find it doesn't ADD 300 rpm's it REDUCE"S the rpm's by up to 300. That's how TCI can claim it lower's the operating temp of the tranny by 20 deg, since it's a tighter converter It'll have LESS slippage than most stock one's thus produce less heat. That specific converter would be an excellent upgrade to the stock one in a plow truck. BTW I used to have a 79' 3/4 ton Chevy with a Turbo 400, and I ran a 2400 rpm stall converter in it for a few year's as I used it in pulling competition's. I ended up putting a plow on the truck and plowing with it for 3 winter's.I had the biggest cooler on it that would fit behind the grill and I still had to watch the tranny temp gage as it would climb pretty quick when working the truck hard due to the high stall.