1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

High pressured valve?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2002F150, Nov 16, 2015.

1. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

Hi Guy's,

Just wondering i installed Cooper Discovered M+S tires last week. Yesterday I went to a buddy who specialized in installations of tire and for some reason he noticed that the dealer didn't install High pressured Valve, (not sensor) Do i need that? I was told to put 80 psi in front when plow is on and also 80 psi at the back.

Do I really need to change the valve? for High pressured ones?

truck is
    1999 F-250 XLT super duty
    tire 235 /85/16

Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What kind do you have on there now? Pics help

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Have seen it done but most normally valve stems are only rated to 65psi. Could it be a problem? Yes. Will it be a problem? Most likely not.

4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

So I'm guessing that you have the black rubber valve stems when you should have the metal stems? The difference is that the black rubber stems are a "press fit" (just held in the wheel by friction) where as the metal stems (designed to hold higher pressures) are held in the wheel with a nut and have an o-ring seal. If you have E load range or higher tires, you should have the metal stems designed to hold the higher pressures that those tires run. Also, lot better to have the metal stems when spinning tires in mud/snow.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Hummm, my 2500's all came with rubber valve stems and load E tires.

But I agree the metal one are the way to go.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed, my 350 on factory 20's just have regular rubber with chrome cladding.

But I run now higher then 79psi.

7. kimber750

No not all high pressure stems bolt in.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...tires&ef_id=VkpWxAAABAg5@rbQ:20151116222052:s

8. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, my mistake, I forgot about the rubber snap in high pressure. It's been 3 years since I owned a truck that ran those, so I forgot about them. I'm thinking of the stems on my current truck which are metal bolt in, but it has load range G 19.5's on it. Early "old timers" dementia is setting in. :dizzy:

9. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice, i will be sure to have the metal stems installed,

should i run 80 psi ? Some say 60 front and 80 at the back, others say 80 psi at the front and 80 at the back.. am so confused. the plows weight about 750 lbs.

10. kimber750

I run 80 in the front in the winter due to weight of the plow and 60 in during the summer. Always have 80 in rear since most the time I drive in summer I hauling or pulling something.

11. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

Okie thank you! :)