1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

high performance vs heavy duty

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by orange toys, Oct 29, 2013.

1. orange toys

orange toys Member

Trying to decide between the 2 styles. Anybody have experience with them? The confusing part is the high performance one wieghs a lot more than the heavy duty.

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

that means nothing on their website, just a catorgory, it comes down to straight,v,c or scoop plows with each haveing a few options(ie: poly,steel, 8'-9', flared non flared, trip edge ect) It will depend on your truck & what/how you want to use your plow.

3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ya. I think they just classify their poly blades as high performance, maybe due to less snow friction/sticking. The standard duty is a steel blade but plenty beefy for commercial use.

True, the hiniker poly's weigh more because they are reinforced with steel gussets behind the poly blade.

Some people prefer steel some like poly.

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

The biggest difference is that the HD plows are a full blade trip while the High Performance plows are a trip-edge plow. HD moldboard skin is steel. High Performance is poly. We don't sell too many of the High Performance plows because of the weight and additional cost, but if you are a commercial guy you could easily justify the extra weight/cost. If you are going to run a straight blade plow and want back-dragging performance, check out the C-plow. It is basically a High Performance plow with an additional cylinder to roll the plow over for back-dragging.

5. orange toys

orange toys Member

I don't plan on doing much back dragging, I have a tractor for doing driveways if needed.

6. orange toys

orange toys Member

So I've decide on the plow what can't decide one size. Any help is appreciated

7. BC Handyman

depends on what type of truck you got & what type of properties you plan on doing.

8. orange toys

orange toys Member

Its going on an 09 2500hd

9. BC Handyman

you doing big or oper lots, or drivways or both?

10. orange toys

orange toys Member

Mainly Parking lots and some drives, not many as of right now

11. BC Handyman

8' or 8.5' the 9' is too hard for drives.

12. orange toys

orange toys Member

Im going to go with an 8' but i haven't been convinced to go with Hiniker, I'm now considering a western pro 8'.

13. BC Handyman

both good plows, I might of got a western, but the closest dealer(by over 100km) was hiniker so I went with Hiniker. I'd say if both dealers are same distance, go ask a bunch of questons & which ever dealer seems better go with them, think things like their hrs open, how quick will they get to you if u got a prob, parts, do they make many orders or only 1 per week.

14. orange toys

orange toys Member

Now for the part I'm stuck at, same dealer sells both brands but really pushes the Hiniker over Western. Says western aren't as heavy duty and cost a little more.

15. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have a hiniker straightblade. It is a well built plow. But the Western Ultra Mount system looks pretty slick & leaves your truck pretty clean looking in the off season. Western electrical connections appear nice & durable too.

Aside from that, the big difference between the 2 brands is chain lift vs. direct lift & there all kinds of threads on this site defending each other.

16. bliz&hinikerDLR

Both are good plows. You will be happy with either. The "horns" of the Hiniker do come off somewhat easily, just wrenches required. Trust your dealer's lead. If he believes in one plow brand over another that he carries he has a reason and will work to defend his preference. Which brand does the dealer seem to sell more of?
    Hiniker's reliability is very good. The electrical is still simple. No multi-plex. There is a reason the design hasn't really changed much over the last 15 years. Also, the "list" price of their parts is much more reasonable.
    Only reason I could see choosing the Western is if you are going to grow your fleet with different plow styles because that is something the UltraMount2 system is great for.

17. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

What does the multiplex concept mean? I read this about Western's but no clear explanation. Something about signals? Is the response of the plow less immediate using this technology?

18. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I think multiplex means you can run a V or straight blade on the same truck and wiring. As well as program certain buttons for certain actions, and maybe lock the plow with a passcode.

19. bliz&hinikerDLR

Multiplex uses only two wires for all the functions of the plow. Those two wires are just "communication" wires. They send information to a module on the plow that then outputs the function you selected on the controller. It has some advantages such as being able to run any plow style with the same control.
    Standard wiring, like the Hiniker has, uses a wire for every coil (or you might say function) on the plow. It is generally a more common sense type system to diagnose.

20. orange toys

orange toys Member

what's the difference in the quick hitch and quick hitch 2?