1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

High Output Alternator - new wiring?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by grizbait, Dec 29, 2008.

1. grizbait

grizbait Junior Member

I've got the 1997 F250HD, 5.8L

Currently has a 95 amp alternator - and it's time to upgrade to a 130-180amp, and a dual battery setup.

Question is - if I can find an alternator to bolt up OK, is new wiring required to carry the extra amps? And if wiring parallel with the additional battery - (which I'll probably mount on the driver side, probably with a tray from a diesel of the same era) what gauge between them? Will 4 gauge work? Should I go 2 gauge?

Also - if anyone has experience with this vehicle and knows of a compatible alternator that is stock for some other rig (maybe a diesel has one that will bolt up to the 5.8L?) I'm all ears...

Thanks.

2. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I am sure they made gas ambulances, so you shouldn't have a problem finding an alternator. You could have a local rebuilder upgrade yours.

130 amp should be OK on stock wiring, but 180 is a lot of juice.

4 guage should be plenty between batteries, you are only carrying half the load of the plow or starter on those wires.