1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

High or low

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by gobblet, Jan 8, 2010.

1. gobblet

gobblet Junior Member

Polaris 800 manual says if plowing use low range only
    Manual also says if going over 7mph use high gear(not speaking of plowing)
    I normally plow at 10-12 mph and use high gear,on private streets (not much snow)
    If I'm in a tight driveway I will use low.

Just wondering what gear you guys use when plowing over 7mph?
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I allways plow in 4low with my 2004 Arctic Cat 500.
  3. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

Low gear is for activities that are generally hard on the drivetrain and transmission:
    Inclines/hills, slow speed, towing, high load, and plowing. You don't want to do any of these at high speed (high speed/high gear - all connected). No one operating machinery should question this.

Therefore, you should always plow in low gear.

Only plow in high gear if you:
    * Are immune to the laws of physics - plow fast, plow stop and goes beyond trip, driver go flying forward at the speed he was plowing, driver in pain and/or paraplegic, driver increase insurance premiums for everyone else and play snow plow game on XBOX for long time
    * Don't care or don't have to pay for clutch/drivetrain repairs (you will burn clutch or drive belt if you put the ATV under any strain [push or pull] while in high gear)
    * Don't care if you damage your plow or the area you are plowing
    * Don't care if you get thrown over the handle bars and can no longer walk or take a crap without assistance

If you need to plow at high speed, get a pickup with a plow or run behind a 5hp snow blower. Or apply for a DOT plow job.

Keep it real.... slow
  4. gobblet

gobblet Junior Member

The street I plow at 10-12 mph is my private street. I know accidents do happen.
    It is really a snail pace to plow under 7mph, but I will start.
  5. noooooo

noooooo Member

Low range only. The way I remember the manual for the 05 800 was that if going under 7 mph use low range. You can use low range to drive faster than 7 mph.
  6. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

I know sometimes it is hard to drive on the side of caution when riding an ATV - I mean, who doesn't like to spin tires and do donuts? But when the blade is scraping, I think it is best to be in low gear.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

it all depends on the snow your plowing, if you can feel your quad working, then use low,but if ya can push it in 2wd use high gear, use common sense, you'll see when ya do it a little
  8. gobblet

gobblet Junior Member

Thanks for replies. Just got back in from plowing street.
    Used low gear and took my time around 7-8 mph. Better than
    flying over bars.
  9. dan67

dan67 Member

reread your owners manual. I have a polaris also. If your under 7 mph alot you want to use low but you can run much faster in low also. My 500 is about 55mph in high and 30mph in low. I plow in low most of the time. Have fun with your machine. Dan
  10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My Arctic Cat 500 will only go 10mph when it's in low. But when it's in high I had it up to 65mph going down a hill on a road once, on regular flat ground it will do 57mph.
  11. MtnCowboy

MtnCowboy Member

I plow my and neighbors' mile+ mountainside road and this is the 4th year using an ATV. I 'tell' the 2007 Grizzly 660 what I expect from it and thus far it has replied: 'Yes sir, thank you sir.'

I push the ATV to its limits and that includes 3 mph in rain-soaked, knee-deep snow, blade fully angled and ... at full throttle.

I've also sliced through lighter snow at 30+ mph in Hi and Lo.

My use of an ATV/plow is likely a bit wild in comparison to plowing driveways, which is why I went with "Mountain Cowboy" when signing up on the forum. I don't know much about ATVs, this is kind of a personal experiment. All I can vouch for at this time is the 660 I "abuse" is calm under fire and starts at the first push of the starter button at -6 degrees.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

tell us about it when ya get it back from the shop lol, they are nearly tanks but not quite ,and yea they can take a beating
  13. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

My 660 has been a beast so far. :D I hit one driveway at 20+mph when there was 2ft on the ground. The snow was billowing over the front rack and over the tank but it kept on going. :D
  14. MtnCowboy

MtnCowboy Member

That billowing snow gets old fast, doesn't it? It's like running a 20- HP snowblower with the chute pointed at your face. Not to mention clogging the ATV grill. Speaking of which, we had another 6 inches overnight with freezing rain forecast this afternoon. I'd better hit it -- the only thing more fun than snow flying over the blade is rain at 25 degrees.
  15. BruteForce750

BruteForce750 Senior Member
    from MA

Just make sure you watch your temp light as packing snow into the grill can often block the radiator causing the ATV to overheat. I've had it happen and seen it happen to others while breaking trails in deep snow.
  16. MtnCowboy

MtnCowboy Member

I try to unplug the grill after every pass, sometimes more often. Frankly, when I'm going really fast - as I just finished doing - within seconds my instrument panel disappears under a blanket of snow, so if my light did come on I'd never know it. Yet when I brush it off I check the light and it's never been on that I recall. At 15 mph it'll throw just enough snow over the flap to be slightly annoying, but at 30 mph+ it really is like getting hit with a snowblower. I need to have an angled side-wing fab'd that hangs out a few feet that I can use on the final pass to shove the snow completely over the road; that way, I wouldn't need to go so fast trying to "throw" the snow. I think the ATV would handle it without simply spinning out due to its light weight. I know my Jeep would handle it but I don't like being that close to the drop-off side of the road in anything heavier than the ATV. I have this fantasy that if ATV goes over the mountain I'll be able to jump off, like Indiana Jones, and grab a branch or something.