1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

High Idle option for 5.9l C

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cmo18, Nov 27, 2009.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

In my territories, its normal to see -20C overnight. When I start the big diesel in the morning I'd like to have that high idle feature. I called my dealership up and they played dumb not knowing what it is. Is it available in Canada? How many of you guys have it out there and how does it work? Is there a specific name for it?
    Chris

2. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

3. 1813

1813 Junior Member

if you purchase a smarty or smarty jr they turn this on. Dealership should be able to turn on though.

4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

The truck is going in Monday for some U-joint work, thank god for warranty. While it's apart im going to get them to do 4 ball joints and maybe a couple of tie rods, and I'll see what they say about "turning it on". Just curious to see how its activated on 2006-07 5.9l, and what the dealer needs to do. Does anyone know if the ball joints will get wrecked when dissembling to replace ujoints?

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Have the exact truck. The high idle will automatically kick in when the right conditions are found. The temp outside has to be quite cold for it to activate. Not sure on the exact number.

As for the universals in the front axle make sure they do both. Had one side done and not the other and 4 weeks later has to return for the same issue on the other side. I sure wish they would put greasable one in as a replacement. I know when the factory warranty is all done I will be replacing them all again!!!!

6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

they dont have to take the ball joints out to do the u joints, but tell them there sloppy and maybe they will replace them too. when my u joints whent they replaced only the bad one and just like daff i was back in a couple weeks to do the other side. about the high idle, i brought it to the dealer and they did it for free. i think its a tsb. only took about 10 minutes. works great hit the cruise on hit set and then accel decel to adjust rpms.

7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Mine is on when its below ~40F. Mine sounds like it has a miss when it in high idle, is that because it is on 3 cyl or something?

8. sno commander

from ct

nbi you can go to our dealer and have the high idle flash done and you can turn up your idle to 1500 rpms by your cruise control. with the flash it doesn't matter what the temp is you can manually turn it on and adjust it. mine was free from the dealer. about the missing, mine does it too its not 3 cyl idle its just a lope at 1100 rpms (with the flash you can bump it up so it doesnt do that) :drinkup:

9. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

DO all you guys have to use the cruise control function to get high idle? I'm going to mention the ball joints are bad but I don't think they will cover them under warranty because i have 67,000km on it and bj's are not power train. If they have it all apart to change u-joints, how much extra time would it be to change the 2 bjs on the same side? Whats TSB?

10. sno commander

from ct

tsb= technical service bulliten, they should know what your talking about when you mention a high idle flash. does your truck even need ball joints? jack up the truck and put a bar under the tire and pry up, have a buddy look to see if theres any slop. probably another hour of labor to change ball joints per side. on my dodge when its cold out it automatically goes up to 1100 after about a minute. does your not do that?

11. jay723

jay723 Member
    from SE CT

There is no flash, the dealer just needs to activate the option with their computer. On start up if the conditions are right the engine will automatically idle up. I did not have cruise as an option on my truck, but all I had to do was buy the two cruise switched for about $25 each and installed them. The plugs are already there. Not all dealers will know about activating the high idle. The dealer I bought the truck from did not have a clue about it, so I have not let them touch my truck. Call around. If possible talk to the diesel tech, not the guy siting at the counter.

12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Good Lord there is a lot of bad info in this thread. Snocommander, jay723, and 1813 are the only ones who seem to know what they are talking about.

It's not a TSB, it's a flash. The truck will automatically idle itself up from the factory in cold temps but you have to get the dealer to do the flash to turn on the cruise controlled high idle feature. It is totally sweet!

For all kinds of good info on the Cummins go to www.cumminsforum.com.

13. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I just got my diesel and it has not been cold enough out yet to see if it works I guess. As far as the ball joints, there is play in them. I'm trying to figure out a way to get them to put it through warranty. There already doing the Ujoints under warranty, can a bad u-joint cause the need for a complete front end rebuild?
    I was told by another garage the truck needs, 3 u joints, 1 tie rod on the center link, 1 tie rod on the pitman arm, 4 bjs...but yet the truck drives with out a clunk or a squeak, just u-joint snapping.

14. sno commander

from ct

when my ball joints went the truck started to wonder around and steered like crap. theres a certain spec in the ball joints, they can move a little bit and still be in spec. its to bad all these front end problems can be solved by grease fittings:dizzy:

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That would be called FAST idle, not high idle. Either way, JDiepstra's on the mark.

Many programmers can turn this feature on. It is intended for use with a PTO, perhaps you can tell the dealer that you are installing a PTO-hydraulic pump, they might be more inclided to work with you on this....

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Wouldn't fast idle be wide open?

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  18. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

SO is high idle activated with your cruise control like someone else said or does it automatically come on when cold enough?

19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

This. :nod:

20. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

kkk, does it idle as high from factory as it would if I got it flashed?

Can a bad u-joint cause bad ball joints over time? lol