1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

high idle, aux idle, fast idle

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselpusher, Oct 9, 2008.

1. dieselpusher

dieselpusher Senior Member

anyone have a high idle in there diesel i have a 95 f250 powerstroke 7.3 i need a high idle kit anyone know where to get one??

thanks

Sean

2. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

3. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Doakster, how do u like your DP? I have a diablo, and Im investigating the SCT because I want a little more tunability.

Id love to here your opinions on it.

4. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Jody at DP specializes more in 7.3, and I noticed you have a 6.0, but Jody does do custom tunes on the SCT for the 6.0 and I've heard people are very please with it.

But as far as the DP for the 7.3 I couldn't be happier, overall there is no comparison between a custom tuner and your standard stuff, i.e Diablo, superchips, etc.

5. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks, yeah I am going to with a custom tuner, and I thought I had settled on the SCT, but i have also heard good things about the DP as well, soooooo the hunt continues.....

6. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

well like I said, you can get the SCT from DP, but he erases the stock tunes that come on it and puts his own on it, good stuff.

7. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

what do you need the high idle for

8. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

high idle is really nice for engine warm up if you running a pto or emergency vehicles with all the lights on at the accident scene. ford does sell a AIC controller plugs right in and theres 2 models one was digital LCD screen so you can see what trucks or vans pcm is seeing or one without a LCD thats one is common used on emergency vehicles

9. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Hmm...never heard of this, got a link or anymore info?

10. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Yup the Hi Idle is a nice option, you can also use it during jump starting, I've used mine when I run my winch on my trailer.

Jody used to only offer it as strictly an RPM increase of what ever you wanted, but now he can incorporate the Exhaust Bypass Valve to open and close for faster warm ups, just as the stock 7.3 does as cold temperatures.

11. mike psd

from pa

of the controller

12. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

yeah, just wondering if you have anymore info on it.

13. mike psd

from pa

i found this for anyone looking for info AIC controller

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  14. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

That is an interesting little box.

I guess my preference would be to not have a big box to mount somewhere when I can just turn up the idle with the touch of a small button on my tuner.

I guess the only benefit to it is that you can fine tune the idle. If I needed to do that I would just put a few different idle set points in my tuner.

Plus that thing has all the safety interlocks, which I supposes is a good thing, although I bet if I asked Jody he could work his magic and do the same. I bet that box is a little pricey.

15. mike psd

from pa

new there like about 500 i saw online few places used about 200 prob ones out there less . but gotta remember the person with a fleet truck and doesn't want a tuner and wants a stock truck which is there choice might prefer this like i said most commonly found on tow trucks and emergency vehicles. even some on the cutaway chassis buses have them . i do remember some on here having one in ther 7.3 last winter

16. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree with you on the fleet truck use, hands down the AIC would offer alot of options for a service truck as far as controlling the RPM.

And it you could fine one for 200, that's not bad at all.

17. beaver2

beaver2 Member

Actually the main reason for the high idle tune is to reduce "wet stacking" of the cylinders. Diesel engines will build only a small amount of heat when they are at zero percent load, they will never reach full operating temperature unless they are under a load.

"wet stacking" is when not all the fuel is burned completely, They say to keep EGT's above 275 to eliminate wet stacking.

Newer powerstrokes automatically engage high idle when they have been idling in park for a while.

Just let it warm up for a few minutes and drive slowly until it's warm.

18. dieselpusher

yeah true has anyone seen the one from dfuser.

19. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

My truck will never idle lower than 300 degrees, even in the stock setting. Plus the 7.3 has a function during colder temps to automatically idle up the engine after a certain time period, to keep things warm.

I do see you're point with wet stacking, it's more of a concern with large industrial engines, and if a powerstroke is at idle and not burning the majority of the fuel than there is some issues going on. I've never heard of a problem with wet stacking in a PSD, but it can happen in big diesels that are designed and like to run with a good load on them.

I looked at that box and it seems pretty simple and effective, for 79 bucks it's not a bad deal, if only idle adjustment is what your are looking for.

20. dieselpusher

:dizzy:yea all i want is idle control nothing fancy. do you think it will mess anything up i have to splice into the throttle pedal assembly...