1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

high definition lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OneBadDodge06, Mar 6, 2005.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Anybody know if you can take out the stock lights out of a western and put high intensity bulbs in there that you can get at a parts store? :waving:
  2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Not sure which lights you have, but if you have the 4656 bulbs (std rectangle) they can be replaced with Halogen, Sylvania Silverstars, or even High Intensity Discharge (HID).
  3. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

High intensity bulbs for Western

HELLA makes a replacement for the size sealed beams that Western uses. They make 2 versions, a DOT legal one with a street legal pattern and an "off road only" one with the european pattern.

I got a set for mine they are a great improvement. They have a replaceable bulb in a metal reflector with a glass lens. Nevertheless, they will never be as good as most modern car lights cause the size (reflector) is too small.

Could be legal/liability issues if the off road ones are used on road but I can't see them being that bright or blinding as to cause an accident. Nor could I see any law enforcement noticing they are not DOT approved...

IMHO these are the best that can be done with a ho-hum (too small reflector) design.

I paid about 90 bucks for mine thru A & A here in Pennsylvania.