1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

High chloride levels.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by B&K LawnCare, Oct 25, 2011.

1. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

I have an account we are taking over this year. It is a foundry and they have always had salt spread on the entire lot after each storm. They have wells for their water and have had high chloride levels in those wells and have been told it is due to spreading salt after each snow event. What else would you recommend instead of salt? I was thinking sand and salt, but that wouldn’t get them down to bare concrete like they like.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Call the sponsor right above your post.
  3. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

If price isn't a factor (just saying...) the simple answer is to use a Non-Chloride de-icer of which there are many. There are also treated salts which may reduce the chloride damage. If not reduce the chloride damage, they should help you spread less by increasing salt's melting abilities. Same concept as using a Sand/Salt Mix but you wouldn't have to worry about it not melting down to bare concrete.
  4. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

Price would not be a factor in this situation because they have to have a non-chloride product. The area is small compared to the rest of the parking lot. I called international salt and my local supplier and they said you can’t get ice melt without chloride in it. What are the products you know of? Thanks
  5. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

Non-Chlorides... You would be looking at Acetates, Urea, Sodium Formate (These are mostly FAA Approved De-icers), Glycols, and Natural Melters such as beet & corn concentrate. With these types of Natural Ice Melts always read the MSDS and if there is not information go and ask the company what is in it, as sometimes there are Pure (Non-Chloride) Grades, and other Grades mixed chlorides.
  6. bharkness

bharkness Junior Member

No matter what you use there's going to be some kind of chloride in it ,but if use a chlorided sand you can cut back on the amount of chloride. The big problem in the water is the sodium content, by using a mineral well brine on sand you olny need about 10 gals per yard to get the job done.

Michigan Chloride