1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

High beams dont work...

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by tooch420, Jan 2, 2012.

1. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

I Hooked up my wiring harness which is an RT-3 11 pin for Boss plow. Now my high beams dont work on my truck. There is power going to the harness from the truck to the plug that would go to the light bulb. Cant figure it out, please help if you can.

thanks

2. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

Come on guys, 30 people looked at this and nothing...

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What controls the plow lights? Relays ISO module? Maybe move thread to boss section

4. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

Oh, there is a Boss section? I did not know, thanks.

and the switch in the cab in the wiring harness controls the switch from truck to plow lights. But that is working, I can switch from truck to plow no prob but in any position even with the plow disconnected the high beams on my truck do not work.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since it's 11-pin system all headlamp power goes through the interior mounted switch. Help to know if this was a new install and what it's on but for starters...

Check the light blue/black wire in the center of the toggle with the high beams on. This is the supply power from the trucks high beam headlamp wire. If there's no power there then you have a problem with the truck itself or you have a bad connection at the plow to truck headlamp harness connection. Corrosion or the incorrect headlamp adapters most likely.

6. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

Well I am waiting for a replacement plow side 11-pin connector because the blinker wire is frayed right at the plug. That being said there could be another...

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That wouldn't do it. When I stated "plow to truck headlamp connection" I'm referring to where the under hood plow harness connects into the trucks original headlamp lighting harness. Not out at the bumper plug. A bad wire at the bumper plug would generally cause you to lose the plow side lights, not the truck side too.

8. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

ya i checked that, power gets through to the back of the connector. Looks like i'm gonna have to trace it...:mad:

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't bother until you check it right at the toggle switch first. If you don't have it there then back track to that connecting point. Saves time by not tracing something needlessly. :salute:

10. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

there is no power on that terminal at the switch

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then move down to where the plow harness plugs into the truck headlamp harness and check there. If there's nothing on the truck side of the plugs then it's a truck issue ( fuses, dimmer switch, headlamp switch etc. However if there is power at the truck plug then you likely have a broken light blue/black wire somewhere between there and the toggle switch.

12. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

so there is supposed to be power in the wire or on the terminal of the switch?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Both. One is connected to the other.

14. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

Ya but when I pull wire off terminal, they should still both have 12 v

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only the light blue/black should, nothing else will...because you disconnected it. The light blue/black is your power INPUT from the high beam truck circuit. That is the whole reason you're checking it. If it isn't coming in it isn't going to go out on the other two toggle pins.

16. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

oh, ok...i will check.

17. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

so there IS power to that wire when the high beams are on. I think it must be the switch then, right?

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not necessarily. Check the output on the switch first. With the switch in the truck lamp position the light green/black should show power. Does it? If it does then the switch isn't the problem and the issue is downstream of the switch.

But if it doesn't, jump the light green/black to the light blue/black and see if the truck lamps come on. If they do then the switch is faulty.

19. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

ok thanks, will check tommoro

20. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

but i checked power on the light blue/black wire at the back of the connector where it gets power from the truck and checked it at the switch and it had power. So that wire is def giving power to the switch when i have the high beams on...