1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

High Amp Alternator?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mark13, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The 120 amp alternator on my 98 has been making some cool noises the last few days upon start up when cold and the first few minutes it is running. I've also noticed the volt gauge not showing electrical power recovering as quick as it used to while plowing. So I'm starting to think it's slowly kicking the bucket. I would like to upgrade to a higher amp alternator, but more specifically one that puts out a ton of amps at idle. Since doing short pushes with low engine rpms is when I really notice my volt guage getting pretty low. Anyone have a brand they would like to recommend?

I'm also running dual 800cca battery's that are 2-3yrs old.

Thanks, Mark.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you can try AGS off of 31, iv had both good and bad luck with them tho. they will build it to what ever you want

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Call DC Grove Electric in Fox Lake, IL. He does all the alternators we need built/re-built. Does great work.

4. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

my alternator went out on the 26th when we got 10+inches
    i jumped this girls car the day before and that was what f`d it up
    i got a duralast for 89.99 with lifetime warranty

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

oddly enough i have heard of a few newer vehicals that claim you should not jump. - weird i know, but doesnt surpise me

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Classic symptoms for a bad belt.

Usually alt work or not (before you all jump on me with "well I had one that..." I said USUALLY)

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

NOT... unless you you hooked it up wrong.

8. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

+1 Agreed!!!

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mark - I put a 155 amp unit from Napa on my 97. It has worked well so far. Don't buy an AZ cheapie, that will not last. I used one for a half a storm. It smelled like it was going to catch on fire. It was so bad I didn't dare to finish the storm with it. I kept if for a spare, put in the Napa unit. Make sure you get the HO charge kit too.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I need to replace an idler pully so I'll check my belt then. The belt isn't that old but who knows.

And I definetly won't be going with an AZ product, the local AZ and I are not good friends. I'd go with Napa as first choice or Oreilly's as 2nd.

11. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

http://www.alternatorparts.com/ad_alternator_order_page.htm
    http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130d_cs144_trk_suv_upgrade.htm

12. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

13. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

how does it hold up to major amp draw such as a plow or stero? do you drive the truck daily or is it just a plow truck? im tinking about picking up the 200 amp alternator in a couple days when i collect my cheack.

14. secret_weapon

It's been good so far, got it last year. My truck sits most of the summer, dedicated plow truck. I'm very happy with the output!

15. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i had a 250amp made at a place out in belvidere i think....it may ahve been ags.....i amnot sure..

My buddy also made me an overdrive pully for it.....so i get 70 amps at idle.

16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

did you buy the inline fuse kit and upgrade you charge wire to 4awg? did you also put the inline fuse in there?

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

4 gauge is kinda light for a 200+ amp alternator. 2 gauge welding wire is the minimum, really. Don't forget to include the same size ground wire to run a ground directly from the battery to the alternator housing.

18. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function on the blue line above. Search: Charging, Low power, Duel Batteries. There is many hours of reading there. It's been beat to death here many times.

Keep in mind an Alternator only puts out 1/3 of it's rated amps at idle.
    An Automotive component rebuild shop can upgrade you stock alternator for $1.50 an amp. If space is an issue this is the way to go.
    The Internet has sites that sell upgrade alternators, you have to upgrade the size of wire to the batteries.
    Make sure all your connections are clean and dielectric grease is put on to protect them.
    Do the same to ALL the grounds on the engine and frame.
    You can buy the front and back bearings,brushes and voltage regulator for most alternators at part stores.
    Make sure the pulley on the belt tension-er is not worn out. Mine was made of plastic it was worn so thin it would let the belt move around.

19. secret_weapon

I used 2 awg for all wiring. I did not use the inline fuse, that's just one more sketchy connection to worry about.

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So you have no fuse protection between your alternator and battery?