1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hids lights

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by camaro 77, Sep 10, 2010.

1. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

ok I want to put them in my plow lights I have the old style light and can not find out where to buy the slim ballast so that everything fits inside the housing a link or a part # for these would be great or if someone has some they want to sell me would also be good thanks guys

2. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I'm running HIDs in my old school light housings. I was able to fit the standard size ballasts in there without any issues. I don't think you'll need the slims.:drinkup:

3. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

do you know what watts you have 6000?

4. grec-o-face

I've got 35w 6000k's. I think I'm switching to 4300's this year though, should cut down on the glare. Anything with the blue hue will reflect the snow pretty bad. I didn't have a problem last year with the 6000k's, but I think it'll be better with more yellow/white compared to blue/white.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  5. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

ok so 4300 would be the yellow ish color are they still 35w this would be my first set of hids just don't want to buy the wrong ones thanks for the help so far also do I buy a new plastic headlight assy for the bulbs to install into like a conversion kit I guess is what I would need

6. grec-o-face

3000K = VERY YELLOW
    4300K = stock halogen color, much better intensity
    5000K = almost Pure WHITE
    6000K = white with a hint of blue
    8000K = white with more blue
    10000K = white with alot more BLUE
    12000K = VERY BLUE almost PURPLE
    30000K = PURPLE

The lower the Kelvin rating, the more light they produce.

Yeah, you have to buy replacement "modular" style lamps. They will likely require H3 or H7 bulbs.

I have hi/low HIDs in my plow now, and I'm taking them out and installing single beam HID's instead. It's an easier install with single's.

7. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

thanks for all your help

8. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

thanks for all your help

9. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Where can I buy the HID lights?

10. grec-o-face

I've seen them on ebay pretty cheap.

11. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I got some at DDM tuning for $30, regular ballast. They have a lifetime warranty as well. They were put in my truck and my wife's Yukon, not the plow though.

12. grec-o-face

The DDM stuff looks nice - and the prices are right on.

Thanks for the link!!!:drinkup:

13. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

what is DDM anymore info a link or web page

14. grec-o-face

I just googled it and found their page.

15. 06Sierra

from Maine

Just google ddm tuning and it should be the first one on the list.

16. 06Sierra

from Maine

It's a slow day at work. Here you are... http://www.ddmtuning.com/product.php?II=101

That page brings you to the slim ballast kits, $35. The regular ballast kits are $25. I think some bulb sizes are a little more than that though.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  17. grec-o-face

Here are a few pics from when I installed the HIDs in my plow...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

How do the HID'S hold up with the shock and vibration of theplow banging around?

I have HID'S in my reg truck lights and love them. I was thinking about trying thrm in the plow lights but was concerned about the shock and awe effect...........?

19. grec-o-face

Haven't had an issue with them yet. I'm not saying there won't be an issue, there's an aweful lot of impact and vibration up there - I'm just saying mine have been fine so far. Also, did a friend's Meyer set-up and it seems to be holding up too.

20. eric02038

eric02038 Senior Member
    from MA

Did you run a wire from the battery to the lights? Thinking about doing the same.