1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID's in truck, high and low beams dont sent to plow - Western HTS

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 2000srx, Jan 8, 2014.

1. 2000srx

2000srx Junior Member

New to the site, just got my first plow today. I have a lot of experience working with trucks, very little with plows. I installed an HID high/low beam kit in my 2003 f150 about a year ago. Had a dealer install the HTS plow today, i usually like installing components on the truck my self but the plow was offered same price installed as un installed so i figured why not.

They told me that because of the HID kit the plow lights wouldnt work. Doesnt make sense to me because the plow light wires were spliced into the headlight low and high beam power wires before the HID ballast box? Signal lights on the plow work just no high or low beam. All lights work on the truck still. Going to have a look at it tomorrow but because my truck wont fit in my shop ill be doing the work outside and its going to be -20 tomorrow so thought id try and do some research first to speed up the job. Havnt been able to find any info on this on line. Most people seem to say that it should work.

Should they be working? Or is there an adaptor i can get to make it work. Or would it be suggested that i run the low and highs from the plow through a toggle and to the battery seperate from the harness. Or just get rid of the HID kit? I would like to keep the kit if possible.

Id really appreciate any help.
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have worked with HID installed on plow trucks and they always worked fine. The installer was just too dump ind rushed to figure it out.
    When the plow wiring harness is installed it simply takes the truck headlight power and redirects it to the isolation module where it triggers relays that send battery power to either the truck lamps or the plow lamps. The fact that. The truck lights work indicates that the HIDs r no problem the installer just has something between the original truck headlight plugs and the western headlight harness plugged in wrong. What kind of headlights does your F250 have? I would expect u have two bulbs on each side right? When these four plugs r wrong the truck works but plow doesn't. More common on GM quad light systems but could b your problem too.