1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID's for Pro Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bdlawncare, Dec 16, 2012.

1. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

So I have HID's in my daily driver and now i am spoiled. They light up the road so much better and I have better vision all around. I want to put some in my Pro Plow to provide me with better lighting, most of the areas I plow are very poorly lit and its hard to see with the stockers. Anyways my question is aimed towards you guys that have done with before.

1. How hard is it to install? does it require mods to the existing lights/wires or is it plug and play?

2. Will it give me any problems with the other electrical components on my plow? I want better lighting but not if they are going to F*** with my plows operation.

3. What kit would you recommend getting? I know a couple of guys on here have done it and recommended a certain brand/kit.

anyway im looking to do this soon, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!:waving:

2. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Hids are the best! If your pro plow uses Intensifires you should have no problem installing them. I would just be sure to get an A/C Digital ballast equipped kit. Also stick with the 35w. It's plenty of bright light. I use a 35w digital ballast with 6k bulbs and it works wonderful. The older style ballasts, in my exp, have a hard time lighting in the cold unless hardwired or relayed directly from the battery. The new digitals fire right up.
    As far as kits, I buy all my kits directly from an eBay seller. Search OPERATIC98 on ebay. The kit I bought in 2003 for an f150 is currently still operating in my f350. He has reasonable prices and fast shipping, and quality items. Most are plug and play. I can give you his direct number and you can go through PayPal if you don't do eBay.

[​IMG]

3. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

I have the new pro plow, i bought it last year so i am assuming that it has intensifires. Would it be plug and play for them? By the way i appreciate the help.... and the pictures.

4. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

5. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Do your lights look like this??
    [​IMG]

6. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Those ballasts do not look like they are digital. They look like Hella gen 3 replica ballast which are not digital. The eBay listing says the ballasts are analog. That kit is cheap thou. The ones bdlawncare found on eBay I mean.

8. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Yes that first link is def "cheap" stuff....stay away> the Can-Bus system is wayyyy better AC Ballast Stick with 35W 6K system though as 55W may melt Housings (seen that happen in OEM fog lights and headlights)

9. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

okay... I def wanna go with what is tried and true, and yes my headlights look just like that... so is the link you posted the exact ones i should order? I dont mind spending the extra money for a quality product. sorry to be sucha pain not too great at figuring out what will work dont want to order the wrong thing! BTW whats the deal with the 6,8,10.12k ect, is that just brightness ratings? you mentioned stay away from the 55w but whats the downside to an 8k 35w set. Sorry for all the questions, im not to familiar with HID's have em in my daily driver but they came with the truck so i never gave em much thought. Thanks again man appreciate your time and help.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  10. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

The higher the Kelvin Rating the lower the light output. In my exp 8K is too blue looking and the light is "Soaked up" by wet pavement at night.... 4300K is like daylight 5,000k is bright white and 6k is bright but has a tinge of greenish blue. The white snow picks up the color and lights up the road well. 8 10 and 12 are for ricer cars that want crazy colored lights (pink purple gold) and are dimmer actually.

11. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

12. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Here is my truck now with 6k so you can see what it's like compared to yours
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yes that is freezing rain right now that was supposed to be snow! Dammit!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  13. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

hahah i think everyone wants snow rn, we work hard all season and when the landscaping stops we dont know what to do with ourselves except get over anxious for snow so we can use our equiptment! haha i atleast suffer from this:dizzy: anyway you said 5-6k and pick a color. what do you like? / have in your truck? since you seem to like them in the snow. On the ebay link t it lists different cars that each one fits, im assuming a certain make and model of car is what works/matches up with the DD intensifires?

14. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

If you want to do it right, get a set of projectors out of an Infinity QX45 and graft them into the housing.

With the regular reflector you'll just get tons of light wash and more glare.

15. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Yes the link posted is for an H13 kit That is all you need. I use 6k. Always have, always will.

16. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

This is true of most factory headlight housings. I have a defined cutoff line with the factory housings on my 07 Ford. I dont know how or why, But there is no glare or light wash as you call it. Never had anyone flash me and I can see that my lights are not in their face as they pass. I DID have them properly aligned when installed as most people just slap them in and dont care about anyone else. On the plow headlights, just a simple re-aiming took care of the issues. I do however like the look of the projector light pattern, just not how the aftermarket projectors look when they are on the truck.

17. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I have a set of Acura tl projectors with 5500k osram bulbs. They are aimed a bit too high in the actual houseing. I'll have to get it redone. I get a good white light output would be better if they were lower.

image.jpg

18. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Thanks PSD ordered the lights today, will install as soon as i get them!

19. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Awesome! Those guys are great and you should get them quickly. Depending where you are in the northeast, you might have em' Friday! And if you ever have any problems, they fix it right away. and theres a warranty if ever needed.
    Save this number
    (832)428-24three-one
    This is there direct number and his name is Haun (like Haun Solo)

20. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Hey BD...
    Did ya get em in yet?? Whadya think?