1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hids flickering

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by z71plowguy, Dec 16, 2010.

1. z71plowguy

z71plowguy Senior Member

im not sure whats going on but hooked up my headlight harness and when i plugged my hids into the harness they do ok for about 30 seconds and then freak out like strobes (this is when the plow is unplugged )the hids are in my truck not the plow

has this happen to anyone else and what can i do to fix it

2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

yes...they are not getting enough power....your screwed....NO HID with plow lights connected....

been there.....start manually swapping from plugged into truck HID to plugged into plow....

mine did same thing......i suggest perhaps running a relay and a switch for the plows heads and leaving hids in truck....

or like i use to do......plug truck harness into hid box until you hook up plow and then unplug hid box and just plug into plow harness.....it sucks....

actually i lifted my rig 4" and took off the plow lights and LOVE IT,...the trucks HID goes over the plow and is 20X better than the western lights ever were....

its got something to do with the ISO box.....an old school relay set-up will work ok but this ISO box is too smart for its own good....it either senses that they aren't pulling enough power like a blown bulb OR...IMO ...its just not pushing enough of your headlight circuit power through the extra 20' of 18g wire it has to go through to get all the way through the plow harness and to the HID box....you can always take the plow OUTPUT wires that normally go to your TRUCK lights...and run them into a relay and gran additional power from battery....that will solve this.....3 relays...
    LOW LEFT
    LOW RIGHT....why 2 separate?....because truck has two feeds so you never lose both head lights....nice feature...
    HIGH...if you have bi-xenon......

email me if anyone needs help

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  3. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

BTW...the flickering is VERY bad for them and WILL damage the bulbs pretty soon....don't let em do that..

4. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I agree with Diss.
    Go with a direct power/relay set-up and you'll be better off.

The ISO is too smart and the HIDs are too dumb. I have done LOTS of HID stuff and have noticed a trend within the last year or two. They seem to be being built with lower quality parts. I've had more HID failures in the past year than I have in the past 5 or 6 combined.

I have some old school HID set-ups I've been running for 4 or 5 years and they're great - and brand new stuff that's junk. Just like everything out there - people trying to skimp to make more money....

5. z71plowguy

z71plowguy Senior Member

thank you will do a switch and try to figure this all out with out burning my truck lol