1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hidro fluid Leak...Help

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bsuds, Nov 4, 2008.

1. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

I added fluid to my boss plow while it was attached to the truck. And when I disconnect the plow and lights from the truck, hydraulic fluid oozes out the oil cap on top of the plow motor. It seem that this cap has perforated gaps around the top of the cap. The smart hitch pulls the plow lights up to the truck quickly, but when I go to disconnect the plow It is mostly gravity pulling the lights away from the truck and not so much the smart hitch 2. This is when oil oozes from the oil cap on top of the motor. What is going on?:confused:

2. duluthplower

duluthplower Junior Member

Seems to me the Resivoir may be over filled. Just a thought.

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

By what you describe I would venture that you overfilled the reservoir and the oil is now coming out the breather cap.

I am sure someone else will chime in and either agree or correct me if I am wrong.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Too much fluid in the resevoir. The oil cap is a "breather" cap too.

5. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

O.k. Yup, that probably explains why oil is coming out the cap. I have another part to this question. All of my hydraulics work except the down on my smart hitch 2. The smart hitch goes up and connects the plow. The plow goes up, down, left and right, but when I disconnect the plow by first pushing up on the smart hitch switch then when I push down. I hear the pump running but there is no pressure pulling the lights away from the truck, only gravity pulls the lights away. If I hear the pump running and I have plenty of fluid in the plow. Why is there no pressure pulling down on the plow when I hit down on the smart hitch switch?

6. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

thats how it works, gravity brings the tower back down you just need to "bump" the up switch to disconnect the pins and just let it go down. i hold my down knob as well while it goes back, just how i do it like you...

7. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

O.K. Thanks, glad to know everything is in working order.

8. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

It is true that gravity will pull it down, however when you flip the toggle switch down it should pull the tower down.

9. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i just let mine float down.. heres another post with similar question... as long as your pins are unlocking your fine

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=67595

10. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I agree you can just let it go down on its own and sometime I do, however, when the toggle switch is pushed down the tower should pull down and not just have the motor run with nothing happening.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, and it does, they just have very little hydro pressure during the down function..since they don't need much anyway.

:waving: There's nothing wrong with your Smart Hitch bsuds. It's working just like it should.