1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hideaway's burning out

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by gtmustang00, Feb 16, 2014.

1. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Last storm i had 4 Whelen hideaways burn out after 4 years! Is this how long i can expect them to last? 2 of them were in the cargo light and wires ran inside (everything is soldered/heat shrinked). The other 2 were in the passenger side tail light/reverse light. I had thought a cable shorted out, but nope. Hooked bulb directly to power supply and all 4 bulbs were dead. Other bulbs still work great. Not the power supply as i run 2 systems, front and rear. I had put the front ones on rear power supply and they worked. What other brand is reliable, and don't say led's?

2. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Are we talking strobe hideaway's? Could have been vibration/bumps/bangs from plowing, strobes are somewhat fragile. Hooking the strobe bulbs up directly to the battery will immediately kill them. Strobes can't be powered without a power supply. Sorry to say those hooked up directly to the battery are gone for good. Whelen's are known to be some what the top of the food chain. They are a professional brand used in law enforcement, and fire. Could have just been old age, or they got damaged some other way.

3. gtmustang00

from Berlin

They were silicon'd on the housings. And i would never hook up to a battery, just power supply. You can hear noise in them if you put them up to your ear. Seems like they internally shorted some how.

4. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Got ya, I've been a public safety fleet manager and seen people do some crazy things- just had to check. It's really hard to say with strobes. If you can hear noise and they aren't firing up, the bulbs are bad. Could be a variety of factors. The good news is, that since strobes are being phased out- you can find some pretty cheap replacement bulbs online.

5. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Whelen's don't seem to be cheap. What other brands are quality?

6. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Federal Signal, Code 3 PSE, Star Signal.

7. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Very odd for all 4 to go out at once. Sure you don't have a bad power supply?

8. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  9. Dash Flash

Dash Flash Member
    from Arizona

The Whelen Hideaways should last for many years. The most common cause of failures are:

1. Water/snow reaching the very hot strobe tube while it is in operation. This is not necessarily from a loose fitting strobe tube, but can also be caused by moisture entering the housing through seams, cracks, or screw holes.

2. Installing the strobe tubes in a confined space or too close to the edge of a space. Strobe tubes get VERY hot and they must have room for air to flow around them or their lifespan will be shortened. We recommend a minimum of 1" of clearance.

3. Inadequate power to the power supply. Strobes use a lot of power. If the power supply is "starved", it will overheat and eventually fail. We recomment powering the power supply directly off the battery.

4. Mounting the power supply where it is susceptible to moisture or engine heat. Power supplies must be mounted inside the cab.

If you need to replace your Hideway strobes, consider the Dash Flash® Corner Flash™ Hideway Strobe Kit found at: http://www.dash-flash.com/Hideaway.html

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  10. Dash Flash

Dash Flash Member
    from Arizona

The Dash Flash® Corner Flash™ Hideaway Strobe Kit is virtually identical to the Whelen® product but has a factory-direct price of only $109.99.

http://www.dash-flash.com/Hideaway.html

[​IMG]

11. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the whelen tubes in my crown vic are 15 years old and all still work fine.
    same with my 02, the tubes in that are 12 years old with only one cable rubbing and shorting out.

12. Dash Flash

Dash Flash Member
    from Arizona

12-15 years is darned good even for a quality strobe kit! But proper installation is the key to long life of the kits. We also recommend wearing gloves when installing the tubes to avoid touching the strobe tubes, as the oil from our skin can shorten the life of the tubes.