1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hideaway watts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fisher42, Oct 27, 2004.

1. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

i am looking at a 40 Watt hideaway strobe system, with 4 strobes. I am going to put them all away around the truck. is 40 W enough? how well will it be noticed? day time? thanks-
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

from everything i have read you should go with at least 80 watts if not 90.
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Fisher 42
    I run a 8 head 90 watt strobe system on my truck,man its bright.

Regards Mike
  4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Pay the extra money & get the 90 watt power supply!! You won't be sorry!!
  5. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

You have to remember that each strobe used takes away 10amps, so if you use a 40w power supply, each strobe is only getting 10ea/

If you use a 60w power head/ and 4 strobes they each get15w, and so on.
  6. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

so its probably not enough then?
  7. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

40 does work, but when you compare them to a 60 or 90 they are not as bright, guess it's what you want it to do. You pay for what you get!!
  8. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

Where are you getting your kit from? Is it a whelen kit??
  9. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

i'm getting the kit out of a towing catalog. i don't think the kit is whelen. If i had the catalog here right now i'd tell ya man, sorry. thats wut happens when a friend borrows something for "a little while". so anyways, how visible would the 40 W kit be in daylight?
  10. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

My understanding with the watts and outlets on a power supply is that if you have a six outlet 90 watt power supply, you divide 3 into 90 and you get 30. Since you only have three outlets firing at the same time on a six outlet system you would get 30 watts per light head. 20 watts for a 60 watt 6 outlet power supply. All that is true is you are using all of the available outlets on that particular power supply. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have read that in several publications in the past with the most recent from AW Direct.

I would go with nothing but a 90 watt power supply.

Just my .02¢
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  11. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

It also depends on what color....Clear is the best...colors tubes dont show up good.....Without a doubt clear is the most visible and brightest....And on the 40 watt power supplie, its useless with 10 watts to each head. Its not bright at all with 4 tubes...Go with the 90 watt kit.