1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hideaway Strobes

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sbrennan007, Oct 23, 2006.

1. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

In my last couple of trucks I've had hideaway strobes in the front turn signals and in the rear reverse lights.

I've noticed a couple times that they will just stop working in the middle of the night. I've also noticed that if I use a pressure washer to clean the truck up after the storm that they will sometimes not work.

With this, I'm guessing that it's related to mositure, but where I can't determine. I've been using the Whelen grommett strobes and they are nice and sealed in the housing and there is no moisture in the actual housing.

As for the connections, one side is in the truck, usually mounted to the metal floor or back of the cab, so there is no moisture there, then it's a strait sealed wire to the strobe. At the strobe connection, I've tried everything from dielectirc grease to black tape to heat shrink tubing, but on each instance I've had this issue happen.

Just wondering if others have expirenced this, and if so what they've done to resolve this. I don't think it's a time on for the strobes issue, as they should be able to be on for 10+ hours at a time.

2. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I had a similar problrem with mine, with the exception of mine being duetch connectors on a SHO-ME system. I solved my moisture problem by using silicone sealant at all the connectors at all four corners. They have not failed yet. Hope your problem is as simple.

In the photo posted, I used sealant where the strobe head connects to the shielded cable via a duetch connector.

f-250 strobe (3).jpg
  3. Northland

Northland Senior Member

The strobes we use on our police bikes will do the same thing. Its water in the connectors. I would silicone them up to not allow moisture inside...Might solve your prob.
  4. J29

J29 Senior Member

I also had the same problem in my truck. Use the silicone as stated in the 2 previous posts. I sealed just the front two in my turn signals and it's been four years since then and no problems whatsoever since. Good luck. J.
  5. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

Yup same here, I used silicone like everyone else and also used and electricla shrink wrap/tube around the two rear connections at the rev lights not a prob since
  6. sbrennan007

Strobe sealing.

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like silicone is the answer for this. Did you fill the back sides of the connectors where the wires come in only or put some in between the connectors before connecting them together as well?

Also, how long have you all had them on at a time ( 4hrs, 6hrs etc...).
  7. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

No, just where the wires enter the connector.
  8. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Just on the back of the plastic connector. Fill in the voids around where the wires snap in. Have had them on for hours and still worked fine..
  9. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Like everyone else has said...fill in the voids where the wires enter the connector on both sides, and also once you snap the connections together, you can seal around the lip too if you like.....thats how I do all my customers, and I've never had a problem.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

won't the power supplies shut themselves down if they get overheated from extended use?
  11. BlueLine Ent

technically yes, most of the supplies produced today are built to shut down when over heated. However, as long as they arent directly covered by a sweatshirt, rags, behind the seat kinda junk etc, most of the reputable brands are built so well that this is never an issue. Yeah, they do get warm to the touch, but as long as there is some space around them, they cool themselves very well. Some older supplies might have this problem, but anything relatively new (past 5-8 years) are pretty well designed for heat.
  12. sbrennan007

Strobes vs. LED's

Just wondering if anyone has gone from strobes to LED's and if so, how did you place them? LED's seem to be more durable and last longer, but don't have the wide angle of light disbursment that strobes do.
  13. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

that sounds like the way to go for me, when its dark out and the strobes are on it messes with my eyes they are so bright. the snow reflecting the brightness doesnt help either so the led's might be nice, where can i find them?
  14. BlueLine Ent

Unfortunatly they havent quite developed a good LED for installing in head and taillights so your best bet is independently mounted LEDS either in the grill, above the rear view mirror, in a lightbar on the roof or rack, in the back or side windows or on the plow frame, keeping in mind that you want to point the LED at your intended target eg vehicles in rear, front, etc. In that sense though, LEDs allow you to be creative such as mounting them on the sides of toolboxes, ladder racks, plow headgear etc(see attached photos). LED's can be found from AW Direct, www.vlsusa.com, strobesnmore.com, strobesforless.com etc.

GMC TIR 3 002.jpg

Truck  Close Up 012.jpg
  15. LongTimer

LongTimer Junior Member

Believe it or not . . . . . . . . . . smearing dielectric grease on the back of the connector and any splices worked for us. The light would stop working after a few hours especially in wet conditions. It solved the problem. We had tried shrink wrap and all sorts of other things. They just seemed to hold the moisture when it finally made its way in. Once any part get any moisture the voltage is so high (low amps though) it find a path to ground and the light stop working. In our case, even if 1 light was affected it took out the others. Using Whalen equipment.:yow!:
  16. sbrennan007

Anyone have any detail pics of where they put their strobes in the front turn signals and the connection job that is or isn't working so well.

17. BlueLine Ent

Front Signals

I tried to find a good close up picture of a customers truck like yours to show you, this was as good as I could get. The strobe bulb is mounted on the same vertical plane as the signal bulb, just to the inside about 3-4 inchs. In the diagram I made, the blue represents the strobe. This position enables the strobe bulb to best utilize the housings reflector pattern to disperse the light. Unfortunatly, I don't have any pics of the connectors at the moment, but I will try to get a few up here.

18. sbrennan007

Thats what I was looking for. I think thats where I've put mine in the other trucks but I didn't know if light distibution was possibly better in other locations.