1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hideaway Strobes??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grunt0311, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Hey guys, just looking for opinions from those that use the hideaway strobes in your headlights and tailights. First, how hard are they to install? Second, do you find them annoying you by reflecting off of your blade? I am looking at the 4bulb, 60watt set for $159 from Strobesnmore. Anyone have experience with this set? How about the Whelen? That one is available at another site for just $10 more, but I don't know if it is worth it or not. Thanks for your help!

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I like whelen myself, great tech support. They are not that hard to install the trick to it is where to drill the holes in the headlight and taillights for the strobe heads. Do a serch for strobe install and there are alot of threads. I like the 90 watt Whelen 6 head myself, and there are alot of deals out there on the web for them. Also look on ebay alot of package's on the site.

Good Luck Mike

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I also have the Whelen 6X90. It's a great setup. They are relatively easy to install. The hardest part is routing the wires and figuring out where to mount the switch.

4. EXCESSIVE FORCE

EXCESSIVE FORCE Junior Member

I've also been wondering about the reflection from the strobes on the blade.Anyone??:waving:

5. Plow Meister

Yea, you do get some flashback from the blade. I have mine set up so I can turn off the front strobes and still have the back ones on.

6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Well it all depends on where you put em. Put them in the corner lights and they'll be fully visible with the blade on and you won't ever have a problem with the reflection on the blade.

7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

Ya , The Whelen Ones Are Nice But There $350 And Thats Withough The Power Supply...ive Heard They Reflect Of The Blad Pretty Badly, But They Look Pritty Nice

8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

id go with the 90 watt if you want to put them in the brake lights or the red part of the lights so its bright enough to flash through the filter but 60w if youre in the rev lights. i have 90 in my rev lights and their bright

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Porter I have about $250.00 in my whelen with the power supply cable's and bulb's for a 4 head setup. You can get them all day long for that price.

Regards Mike

10. Plow Meister

My Whelens cost me about $250 also. Do a search on Ebay. They're there all the time. Federal Signal is a great brand as well.

11. Antnee77

from RI

Yep. Whoever wants $350 w/out the power supply is on crack. Keep looking online and you'll get a good deal.

12. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

13. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

I ordered mine from these guys on New Years eve. Needed another tax write off due to Dec's great snowfall:yow!: . But I wanted to upgrade two of the cables to 20 footers. I called yesterday to do so, and was only able to leave a message that didn't get returned. How was the service with these guys? Did you have any problems? Did they arrive in a reasonable amount of time? Thanks!

By the way, I went with the 60w Whelen's with 4 heads, 2 amber and 2 white.

14. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Their service is great. When I ordered mine they said they were on backorder for up to 2 weeks. The next day I got a confirmation for shipping and had them within 3 days. Boy was I happy I didnt have to wait for 2 weeks. I haven't had any problems yet!!

15. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I also use the whelen 90 watt six head hide-a-way package and love them. Just make sure to get plenty of wire or you will be splicing. I got two 15' wires for the fronts and two 20' wires for the rears and the one rear barely makes it to the mounting location on the power pack on my F-250. I upgraded to the optional switch that gives high and low power and 5 different strobe patterns for each intensity level for about $60. I use high power during the day and low power at night. I put my strobes in the front marker lights which are clear and the reverse lights and they are bright. I have considered changing to a yellow strobe tube to make it a little less intense. Even being bright I would never go back to a roof mounted beacon.

16. Antnee77

from RI

Does anybody use Federal Signal? They're supposed to be great, but seem to cost more than Whelen and Sho-Me. Are they worth it?

17. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Hey fortydegnorth, what year is your F250? I am wondering if I can get mine in the sidemarker lights, and the reverse lights on my 99? I looked, but didnt look like they would fit. Do you have any pics of your install? Also, I was planning on using toggle switches for on/off. Will these work, or do I have to pay extra for one of the Whelen switches?
    Thanks
    Bill

18. Antnee77

from RI

You can use toggle switches, but then you have no control over the flash patterns. In this case, you'd have to start messing around with wiring on the power supply every time you wanted to change the flash patterns.

19. hey grunt what do you mean by the side markers. are you talking about the empity space just to the side of the turn signal bulb, if so they WILL fit, if you want i can get some pics tomm and post them for you guys. but i do have them in the front turns, the side lights, the heads and the rear back ups. I think i need more:yow!:

20. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Pics would be much appreciated. Thank you!