1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hideaway Problem

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by millsaps118, Dec 27, 2007.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I installed the flange mounted hideaways this fall and made sure that they sealed flush and tight. I never had a problem with 'em until I started plowing and the snow was blowing up and over the hood (don't have a snow flap). I have 2 mounted in each headlight and am thinking that just enough snow is getting in there on the wires and melting from the heat and getting my connections wet causing all of them to not work. After about an hr or so they all start working again. My pwr unit is mounted in the cab behind the back seat so I know that's not getting wet. I checked to see if it was over heating but it didn't feel unusual or overly hot. Each head is grounded directly to the battery so I'm guessing that's out of the Q.

Any suggestions????????

2. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

water might of got in if you didnt seal your amp connection, unless you have waterproof connections? I just put silicone on my AMP connections.

3. millsaps118

I never did silicone the connection's so I'm going to try that.:drinkup:

4. OSLIGHTS

OSLIGHTS Member
    from Florida

Do not get silicone in the actual amp connector..that could short them out. If you have di-electric grease, put that in the amp connectors, then tape up the outsides real good. I am assuming that you have a Whelen kit, but maybe not. If water/snow gets in the outside of the amp connectors, it will short them out. If it shorts out, the power supply will usually start to act crazy at first, then shut itself down to avoid damage.

5. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

On the outsides of the amp connector, inject all the back spaces with silicone real good and you'll be all set. Never had a problem, and I do primarily plow and work trucks. Don't waste your time with tape, it just gets wet and salty and falls off. No offense OSLIGHTS, but things here are different than in Florida, tape is useless up here cause of cold and salt.

6. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I did that with mine too blueline. Been like that for 2 years and no problems. Its also cheaper than getting waterproof connections.

7. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

liquid "tape" the can with the brush works wonders, Ever try Fluid Film on them?

8. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I shrink tubed mine after I had the same problem, been fine ever since

9. millsaps118

Well I siliconed the backs of all my connections and di-electric greased the fronts. Thanks for all the great tips guys, I'm sure it's going to be fine now.:drinkup: