Snow Plowing Forum banner

hideaway install help on 08 gmc 3/4 ton

5K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  MSS Mow 
#1 ·
Hello all.

I'm going to be installing a Whelen 90 watt 6 head with 4 hideaways very soon. I have the stuff, just waiting for my buddy to help.

I'm just looking for any advice, especially on where to locate the hideaways in the front and back. ie. will they fit in the reverse lights, will they fit in the front blinkers? etc. Also, where are you putting the power source in the cab? I've got a regular cab.

I'd hire a pro like BlueLine Enterprises if there was one around here, but I'm in a very remote area. Everyone does things themselves.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

#27 ·
plowboy21;618579 said:
the only place to install a fed is in the turn signal:realmad: i would know since i do it for my a full time job on security cars and police vehicals

but one question why the hell r u using leds they are dim as **** :nono: should have done a set of strobes u will be very disapointed. we will not install leds in any vehical (and they are 4 times as much) 4 corner set up we demand that the dept. goes with strobe for visability weinstall on every vehical we get so if u need help with any vehical let me know
One question for you...why the hell don't you read the thread and know what you're talking about before you comment? I did install strobes. Not sure where you're getting the idea we were talking about led hideways here.

#28 ·
plowboy21;618579 said:
the only place to install a fed is in the turn signal:realmad: i would know since i do it for my a full time job on security cars and police vehicals

but one question why the hell r u using leds they are dim as **** :nono: should have done a set of strobes u will be very disapointed. we will not install leds in any vehical (and they are 4 times as much) 4 corner set up we demand that the dept. goes with strobe for visability weinstall on every vehical we get so if u need help with any vehical let me know
You can also put them in the headlights. The parabolic reflector there works well.

#30 ·
plowboy21;618579 said:

I don't know what install shop you work for, or what grammar school you went to, but you need some work in both aspects.

Hideaway LEDs have come a long way and are now extremely bright. Maybe your company needs to take another look at HAW Leds and re-evaluate them. I don't think that you should be demanding anything from your customers.....they are the ones that pay your bills.....you need to give them whatever they ask for.

Sorry for the rant, but you can't just come in here talking that nonsense, especially in pre-kindergarten level grammar. It's very unprofessional.

Not to mention, we weren't talking about them anyway.

#31 ·
fordmstng66;619020 said:
MSS MOW

Where did you bring the wires into the truck from the strobe bulbs?
For the fronts, we came in through the firewall on the drivers side. We just used one of the exisiting holes that wires were coming through.

For the backs, we actually drilled a hole in the floor under the passenger seat next to where my power supply was located. We obviously sealed it up in good shape after we ran the wires, but that was only logical thing to do without running all the way back to the same spot we came in for the front. We had to wait as it was for more wire to come to finish the job.

Hope this helps. I can try and snap some pics if you want.

#32 ·
plowboy21;618579 said:

Actually this is wrong on all levels. He did use Strobes. The new LEDs are actually brighter than strobes. And they are not even close to double the price, let alone 4 times! The new LEDs are the bomb!

#33 ·
i was lead here by another thread so i do app. for that, but i have to say no the new leds are not brighter I have ever brand at me disp. and the strobe out preforms in every aspect except amp draw.

when you wire cop cars they need to be seen so they need to be as bright as possible
(this is all my shop does is police, security, and salt truck installs we want our customer to be happy with there purchase)

we show the police department the lights all in the same light same spot next to each other and they all picked strobe as the best! Especially when you turn the light on behind it. like he said you have to put a relay in to get the stock bulb to go out with the led on. not needed with strobe i have a nova 906 on my 4 corner and side lights i have the hid 12000 k head light and the strobe over powers it no problem try that with an led and a pulsar 475 in my custom made roof mount light

yes the head light is also a good place but we cant put them there with the hi/low sound off headlight flasher and you lose your hi or lo beam lights by putting them in this location

:( i'm sorry for upsetting so many people i was just trying to help

#34 ·
Strobe pack price for a four corner set

Whelen 90W Power Supply & 4 Hide-A-Way Strobe Kit
WHCSP690CCCC
$198.00

Sirennet 90 Watt 6 Hide-A-Way Strobe Kit
SN9066HAK
$199.95

Sound Off Galileo 90 Watt Hide A Way Strobe System
SOETKG90CCCC
$220.00

Whelen 60W Power Supply & 4 Hide-A-Way Strobe Kit
WHCSP660CCCC
$178.00

led kit for 2 lights

SoundOff UnderCover LED 2 Head Kit
SOELUCKV01
$199.95

now tell me that leds are cheaper looks like double the price to me sirennet.com

oh yeah these are for the good lights that will last and the leds should have a 5 year warr.

#36 ·
MSS Mow;619836 said:
For the fronts, we came in through the firewall on the drivers side. We just used one of the exisiting holes that wires were coming through.

For the backs, we actually drilled a hole in the floor under the passenger seat next to where my power supply was located. We obviously sealed it up in good shape after we ran the wires, but that was only logical thing to do without running all the way back to the same spot we came in for the front. We had to wait as it was for more wire to come to finish the job.

Hope this helps. I can try and snap some pics if you want.
Thanks for the information, i don't need pics. I want to put my strobes from my old truck in my new 07 Silverado, but i am not sure there is enough room in the Reverse light. GMC has the reverse light on the bottom, and Chevy it is in the middle. I am procrastinating, because i do not want to drill through the firewall, or floor, but i know i have to to even install the plow.

#37 ·
fordmstng66;624399 said:
Thanks for the information, i don't need pics. I want to put my strobes from my old truck in my new 07 Silverado, but i am not sure there is enough room in the Reverse light. GMC has the reverse light on the bottom, and Chevy it is in the middle. I am procrastinating, because i do not want to drill through the firewall, or floor, but i know i have to to even install the plow.
That is kind of a pain. You'd think chevy/GMC would be exactly the same in something as simple as bulb placement in the tail lights.

Best of luck to you in your installs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.