1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hideaway install help on 08 gmc 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by MSS Mow, Aug 29, 2008.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Hello all.

I'm going to be installing a Whelen 90 watt 6 head with 4 hideaways very soon. I have the stuff, just waiting for my buddy to help.

I'm just looking for any advice, especially on where to locate the hideaways in the front and back. ie. will they fit in the reverse lights, will they fit in the front blinkers? etc. Also, where are you putting the power source in the cab? I've got a regular cab.

I'd hire a pro like BlueLine Enterprises if there was one around here, but I'm in a very remote area. Everyone does things themselves.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I put them in my reverse lights and my fog lights. I tried to get my headlights out but couldn't figure out how. I have the same kit as you.I would put the power supply either on the floor behind the seats or if there's room under the seats.

3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Thank you for your response. How do you like them in your fog lights? I thought of that too, but was afraid that they would be extremely limited in their directional output since the fog lights have quite an inset???

When you put them in your reverse lights, did you drill up through the bottom?

As for the power supply, the only place there seems to be room is under the passenger seat. I was just concerned with too much heat. I've got rubber floors, so there's no carpet in there.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Mine doesn't seem to get that hot and yes I drilled up in the reverse lights. The fog lights wern't my first choice but like I said I couldn't figure out how to get the headlights out.:realmad: If you figure it out, I'd like to know.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

just glue them to the headlights jd. your from canada. same thing.

7. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

I have an 08 GMC one ton dump that I plow with for the construction company, and I have yet to even attempt any hideaways up front for fear that it's near impossible, not to mention an hour just to get the bumper off to get the headlights out. I would say if you can avoid it, find some niice grill lights or go for the fog lights. They're cheaper to replace if anything goes wrong. As you can see, I'm lucky enough to have the headboard to work with. :nod:

[​IMG]

8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

JD Dave and BlueLine, that's really not what I wanted to hear. :)

But, I'd rather know it now, rather than AFTER I have destroyed my frontend trying to get my headlights out. Thank you so much for the input. I'll let you know what I find out when I tackle things, hopefully by next weekend. I did just pickup a couple Whelen LIN 3's so I may put them upfront and use the two other hideaways elsewhere.

Thanks again for the valuable input!!

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I almost forgot, thank you bribrius for your very valuable input too!!

:D:D:cry::cry:

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Good idea and I'm also glad that I wasn't the only one that had a problem trying to get the headlights out. We got spoiled with the old GM's, the lights came out in seconds. It is very tight in the fog lights to get the strobe in without being to close to the fog light bulb.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

JD's right they're not nearly as simple to remove as the classic bodied trucks.

Start with popping the upper bumper pad off. Then remove the two visible screws near the top of the head light assembly. There's also a screw on the side thats somewhat hidden, make sure your get it, don't force it or you'll break the mounting tab off the light housing. Then use a screwdriver to pop the lower snap clip down in order to allow the tab on the light housing to release from it. Pull the head light out. Don't forget to disconnect the electrical harness.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The bumper pad has screws underneath, do all those screws need to come out to get the pad to come off. Another question is do you have to remove the bumper to install most new blades, please say NO.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't have to pull the screws underneith JD. They're for the support that the cap sets on. To remove the pad itself it will have two scews on each side where it wraps around into the wheelwells, need to flex/move the plastic fenderwell out of the way to see the screws but they're there. Once you get the screws out just pull gently on the sides of the bumper cap outwards to disengage from the front fenders then just pull the pad off. Note, some trucks have two clips holding the pad to the grill too. Make sure you watch for them and unclip them, if your has them.

And yes many installs require bumper removal. :gunsfiring:

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks that will help alot.:drinkup:

15. 01CTD2500

01CTD2500 Member

Follow B&B's instructions and you will have no problem, but be easy with everything as he said or you will break tabs off the headlights. The one installation I did we put 2 in low beam headlight 2 in the clear bed lights on the third brake light and 2 in the reverse lights.. turned out very well.

Mike

16. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Any pics of the location of the strobes in the front headlights?

17. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Probably gonna tackle Sunday. I'll try and get a few pics. I wish the front had more of a "corner" marker. The blinkers are in the middle of the grill. I don't really want the hideaways in the headlights either. I don't want to be mistaken for a cop, as I'm not one. I guess I'll just have to be careful and be sure not to run down the road with them on. Also going to run front and back on separate switches so I can turn each on/off separately.

18. 01CTD2500

01CTD2500 Member

I will see if I can track down the guy one day and snap some pictures, we didnt take any during the install. But we learned the hard way about the tabs and broke one.. oops! Them headlights aint cheap!

Mike

19. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

strobe install pic

Sorry it took so long to get some pics posted. I've been crazy busy this last month.

this is a pic of where I placed the power supply. (Under the passenger seat)

strobeinstall1 (2).jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  20. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Here's a bunch more.

1. front parking light before hole drilled.

2. powerpack in cab, under passenger seat. (Seat obviously removed)

3. top of headlight assembly with valance removed.

4. hole drilled in front parking light

5. hole drilled in front parking light

strobeinstall2 (2).jpg

strobeinstall4 (2).jpg

strobeinstall5 (2).jpg

strobeinstall6 (2).jpg

strobeinstall7 (2).jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008