1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide Aways...what do they draw?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowMan4U, Dec 25, 2005.

1. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Got a new set of hideaways and love em. 2 up front and four in back. Thinking about using them in the summer when I have to park on the street while mowing . Think it will a problem leaving them on for say 30-40 minutes without the truck running?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

2. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Ive never have had a problem, just can't be to much longer than that, even tough I have.
    James

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Strobes have a pretty low draw of amps. Just make sure you have a good battery or batteries. Or put out Orange Traffic cones around the setup to keep dummies away.

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Snowman
    I have a whelen cp690 on my truck and I leave them on when ever I'm in a lot plowing. It can sometime's be a hour if we get a good snow. Never had a problem with them running that long. Look at fire trucks, ploice cars they run their's alot longer than that. Just wire it up like the directions say, both the postive and neg cable all the way back to the battery.(this means do not ground the neg to the frame or they will not work)

Regards Mike

5. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Yep. Already tested them with key off and they stay on fine. Normally in the summer when I'm parked with the motor off, I'll leave me regular flashers on for an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. Do you think they draw mor...or less than flashers do? (With engine off)

6. flykelley

You would have to look at your power supply. It will have a max number of amps they draw. That would mean that if you have a 6 head power supply you would draw max amp with all 6 heads on. I would think they will draw more than 4 way flasher's but I could be wrong about that. I did run mine one Halloween for about 1.5 hrs with no problem's, also had my roof mounted strobe running too.

Regards Mike

7. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

An hour and a half? With your top strobe? That's more than I would ever need. Sounds good mike. I'm gonna dig up the paperwork and see if I can find some specs on it. Little hard to read the pwr supply now that it's mounted under the seat but I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

8. flykelley

Snowman
    If you can't find the paper work go to their web site, you should be able to get that info from their site.

Good Luck Mike