1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hide-aways intermittenly working?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by clp94, Aug 16, 2011.

1. clp94

clp94 Member
    from S.E MA

hey guys i was workin on the truck the other day going through it and i put the strobes in the headlights, im doing the rears sometime this week. But they were working fine for 3-4 days until i turned them on today to check them like i have been and they were intermittent, i didnt change the pattern its the same one its been on but you can tell they arent working as they are supposed to. a one point i turned them on and off then on and they didnt work at all. so i went back to the power supply's ground, took the ground off, sanded all the metal contact points with sandpaper and re installed the ground and they seem to be working ok. when bulbs fail do they just stop working or can they run intermittenly? same thing with the power supply, does it just stop or can it be intermittent? thanks guys

2. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

What brand, how many heads? Look for pinched/cut wires, unhook the power supply and pull the cover off and check for melted/burned parts(Make sure you unhook the power or you will get the zap of your life). Did you hook up and run the wires to back and leave them hanging and uncovered so they could short out on anything? Did you leave slack in the wires so they don't rub or get cut? Are all the strobe heads hooked up the same?

3. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

Couple other things to check:

1. Make sure you have a good solid ground for the power supply.
    2. Make sure all of your connections are sealed, unless you paid extra for watertight connectors you need to pump them full of dielectric grease and tape them up real tight. Moisture in the connectors is the number one shutdown of strobes I have found. When they are acting up disconnect one light at a time till they are acting right (disconnecting power to the supply each time or as previously mentioned you are going to get a defibrillator effect).

4. clp94

clp94 Member
    from S.E MA

yooper, it is a nova superpak 6 outlet, only 4 outlets are being used. there is one strobe in each headlight(total of 2 in the front) and there are none in the tail lights right now, the wires are at the tail lights but they are taped up with electrical tape. so only 2 heads are being run right now. i tested both wires for continuity and they checked out ok so i think it may be a bad ground or my power supply is taking a dump. i bought the power supply and light heads with the truck and i just needed to run the wires and the switch, so the power supply/ bulbs could have a million hours on them for all i know which is why i am curious if these parts work intermittently when they begin to fail/wear out or if they just stop working all together. gstang, i will go back to the light head connections and make sure i use A LOT of dielectric grease on the connections because now that i think of it, it was humid and raining when they were acting up. thanks a lot guys, i just dont want to be dickin around with this when the snow flies.