1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide aways in plow lights?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by DaySpring Services, Nov 18, 2005.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone tried to put hide aways in blizzard lights (turn or headlight)? Can the headlight be taken apart to install them?

2. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

man, that's a great idea!! If it works. :salute:

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I had thought of this but I have not had the time to check it out. I have a new Boss 8'6" straight blade that would look cool if it would fit.

Good Luck Mike

4. DaySpring Services

I really want to try this if anyone else has done it before...just dont wanna wreck my lights.

5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

are you just going to have a quick connector so you can still take the mount off... how are you going to run the strobe wires to the plow lights? it might get annoying after a while seeing the piles and the snow flashing all the time...since when they are in the headlights the plow sort of blocks them.

awesome idea though..let us know how it works if you do it.

6. DaySpring Services

I want a total of 6 strobe heads. 2 in the reverse, 2 in the truck headlights or turns, and then the last 2 in the plow headlight or turns. Im going to put quick disconnects on the plow tower, and wire in a switch so I can turn those strobes off individually if they get annoying.

7. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

thats a great idea..can you post pics of where you drill the holes when you do it?...i'm intrested in seeing how they turn out, and if you like them

8. flykelley

ridehardny
    Looks like you will be the test case,lots of pictures with everything apart.

Thanks Mike

9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I think you'd have to go into the corner (turn signal) lights, the headlights are sealed beam arent they? At least mine are, but they are older. I love the wraparound corner lights on my plow lights, and I've thought about putting hide aways in there, but I dont have the money this year. And while I think they would look cool as heck, it's probably pretty unnecessary to have that much warning to the front. Side and especially rear is more important. And I'm sure you would end up turning them off most of the time, because strobes can be very annoying anytime there is snow or mist in the air. When I had a Whelen Edge lightbar, I used to shut the front strobes off a lot because of the flashback effect.

10. DaySpring Services

I dont know when I plan on doing it yet...or if i'll be able to do it with the plow light or signal. I haven't really had a chance to look yet, plus I've been plowing the past 2 days so I can't afford down time due to my error. Anyway, if I do end up going through with it I'll let you guys know the outcome!!

11. us2bafhemi

us2bafhemi Junior Member

Blizzard on the '04?

RideHardNY, I have the same truck as you do and i also have the sport appearance like yours. How does the truck handle the plow, and actually plow? Would you recomend i go ahead with putting it on my truck, or no? On install did they have to notch any part of the bumper cover? Any info you can give would be great. I have been toying with the idea of equiping my truck with a plow and i am very hesitant to go ahead with it. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

12. DaySpring Services

I plowed about 10 drives Thursday, we got about 2 feet of heavy wet lake effect. Truck seems to handle to plow fine. I threw some timbrens on. They notched the bottom part of the air dam for the mount, not the actual bumper. I can get you some pics if you're interested. I had a few people telling me not to put a plow on my truck. One of my buddies who is a very good mechanic said I wont have any problems. I also talked to my dealer, they'll warranty everything they could for break downs. The only problem they said I might have is if I blew a tranny or something major and Dodge sends a rep. out to inspect the truck. Drop the plow, take out the controller and the mount off before I take my truck in if that happens.

13. DaySpring Services

Well I looked at the lights tonight. Seems like there is enough room in the turn signals. The back of the stobe would be exposed though. Not sure if you can do that.

14. flykelley

ridehardny
    The back part exposed will be ok, on my Chevy all of the back of the strobe heads are exposed. Pictures please.

Good Luck Mike

15. profire73

profire73 Member

The only thing that I would watch out for is how big of a power supply your are running. You really do not want to go any bigger than a 40-50 watt power supply or you may start melting some plastic. The 40-50 watt is just what the automotive industry recommends for the police cruisers so you may be able to go bigger but it would be trial and error.

I am with flykelley on the back of the tube being exposed. I have 12 of them on my personal firefighting vehicle and every single one of them has the back exposed and I have had no problems. I have sold a bunch of these kits to people and there hasn't been many places that you can't figure out some way to mount them. The only thing that you may want to pay a couple bucks extra and add the weather proof connectors. These do work and will save you from trying to track down some electrical problems.

Good luck, I am curious to see how they come out.

Mike

16. DaySpring Services

I went with a 90 watt power supply, but i'll be running 4-6 strobes. Will that be ok?

17. flykelley

Ridehardny
    Yes that will be fine, six strobes is not a problem. I'm running six strobes and have a new whelen 6 place 90 watt on the way. I'm going to put two heads in the cargo light of the 3rd brake light and two in the plow turn signal's if they will fit. Make sure you use silcion on the back side of the plugs or use weather proof connector's. Also use die electric on the connectors that are outside the truck.

Good Luck Mike

18. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Fly:

Is there enough room in the cargo light area for strobe heads?? I always thought you need somewhere around an in clearance or else you risk melting plastic...

19. flykelley

Frozen
    Its is close and you have to drill a hole where the bulb goes in from the factory. I have seen it on many constuction trucks working on the highway. I figure if it doesn't work what the heck I will spend the 20 or so dollars to get a new one. I will take pictures when I do the mod.

Regards Mike

20. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

yes it can be done all my trucks have them in the plow !!!!

the best way to do it is using the western style lights .you make a peice that you can screw the strobes into and drill another hole to mount the strobe to what used to be the secon turn signal bulb,now take a strobe cable and run it through a real small hole on the bottom of the lights (you have to drill the hole if using heavy duty wires) then find some weather pack connectors and use them for quick connects..(the wire that is in the light assemly needs to be tied in a knot so it does not pull the wires out...then get electrical grease and goup the hell out of the connectors.finally silicone the hole you drilled for the wire..

for boss lights its tricky you have to use micro strobes/unless maybe you put them in the headlight itself ?

my cost is 350.00 for a whelen 6 strobe kit/clear lenses