1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide-aways in cargo lamps

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by duramaxblade, Mar 14, 2009.

1. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

I had seen somewhere some hideaway's in the cargo lights of a truck. I knew I wanted to do that. Then I read somewhere that it couldn't be done. So of course I had to try then.
    And it can be done. They look great and are really bright. Just thought anyone else that wanted to try it should know that it can be done-with a little finesse and a lot of 4 letter words.:realmad:

2. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Great, I'm interested in doing this too.

Can you post some pics and maybe a writeup of what you used and how it went? :salute:

3. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i got them in my 04 dodge 2500 i love them very attention grabbing! theres a video on here somewhere

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I did them in some Fords. Whelen 90 watt strobes. We found that when left on for long periods especially in the summer they would start to melt the lenses. Just an FYI. Probably ok for winter or short uses.

5. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

I will take some pics tomorrow. Too busy today, and the truck needs another bath. I was worried about what Flipper said, so I tried to keep them backed away from the lenses. I posted a video off youtube on another page of what they look like in a newer truck but not mine. I will see if I can take some pics of the install tomorrow.

6. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Cargo light strobe install Silverado

So here's a quick write up.

Remove the 3rd brake light from the truck.
    Remove the wiring harness for the cargo lamps, keep the 2 brake bulbs intact.
    I cut the wires (but left enough to re-splice down the road if I wanted to) that went to the cargo lights (the plastic harness attached to the lights was in the way of the strobe tubes)

The hole needed for the strobe is 1". I measured the opening that was already there from each of the cargo light bulbs and knew that I didn't need a lot more.
    I took wire cutters and made tons of little cuts in the plastic ribbing that the cargo bulbs twisted into.
    Then I pulled the little pieces off.
    The space needed is almost there, you are left with about 7/8" opening. I took a file and slowly (seriously, this took the longest out of everything) filed away another 1/8".
    Instead of pushing the whole strobe into the hole, I used the grommets which allowed the strobe to stay away from the clear lens about 3/4"
    I pre-drilled the holes needed for the screws to hold the grommet and had to drill and screw them at an angle (I think you can tell from the pics).
    That all worked out pretty good. As far as I can tell the 3rd brake light is water tight, but I also put a bead of silicone around the strobe anyways, since I did it for the other ones.

For the inside of the truck, there are 2 large plastic push tabs that are the same color as my headliner. I pulled those out gently, and that released the headliner.
    I took out the rear seat to have better access. If you have a extended cab there is a large cable under the center of the seat that needs to be unbolted to get it out.
    Then remove the moldings on one side (you need a really big torx head to remove the bolts for the seatbelts). You need to do this do route the wires down to the power supply.
    Plug them in and youre ready to go. I got a hand to put the rear seat back in, it a lot harder to put back in. Put everything back together and light 'em up!!!

I thought for sure I would have messed something up somewhere, but I was really careful and made sure not to touch the bulbs. If you touch them they WILL burn out very quickly. The oil on your fingers stays on the bulb and heats up causing them to break; like a regular bulb getting water on it.

So far I have not had any problems at all. The lenses are still clear, and I ran them non stop for over 24 hrs for the past 4 snow storms.

Good luck to anyone who tries. It's really bright. I took a video but it won't let me upload it. so this is what you get.

cargo strobe (3).jpg

cargo strobe (4).jpg

7. part-timer

part-timer Junior Member

I have a 2007 GMC 2500 HD Crew cab, I installed the Whelen Vertex LED, amber in the rear cargo lamps and they work great, Being LED I don't have to worry about them melting the lens and I did not have to remove the cargo light either, both lights are in there together. I do and still thank George (Dissociative) he did most of the work with a fantastic wiring job.

8. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Are the led's a lot smaller? And how do you like the leds? I thought about them but never thought they gave the same "bang for you buck". I always thought the leds weren't as "fast" as the strobes.

9. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I have them in the cargo lights of my 2001 Chevy 2500hd as well. The are awesome up that high, real attention grabbers.

10. part-timer

part-timer Junior Member

With the amber in the cargo lights being as high as they are they are very bright and very visible,I also wired in a switch to change the paterns on the amber. In the back-up lamps I have clear Vertex LED'S and they are set on one pattern. Once I figure out my camera I will post a video of how they look, I am very happy with the out come of both.

11. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Cool I would be interested to see how they look. I thought about doing a couple of switches to be able to change patterns and a different switch to control only the front and rears separately, but I did the whole install in about 4 hours and also ran out of wire, and only had one switch. Maybe this summer I will add some. I still want to install a back rack and some leds on that and inside the truck facing out the front windshield. So I took the easy way out for now. I am still trying to get a 5" turbo back exhaust, or a single stack, and some other engine mod stuff.

12. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Thanks for the writeup Duramaxblade ... but now I have to think about the LED solution part-timer posted :nod:

13. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Yeah that would have been nice to keep both in there. I know that down the road I'll be getting a back rack and putting lights on that alone with back up/work lights so I wasn't too concerned. I wonder if part timers 2007 is the new style and if that model has a larger housing for the work lights back there. I have just been skeptical of the led hide aways. Some swear by them and others hate them (say they aren't bright enough). To each their own.

14. part-timer

part-timer Junior Member

Whelen Vertex LEDs

I have been in trucks with the regular strobes I may not known there wattage but my LEDs in the location's where they are are very visible night or day. I tried to post a video of them but am having some problem's. I will keep trying.

15. part-timer

part-timer Junior Member

I forgot new body style on my 2007 GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab

16. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Cool. I couldn't figure out how to post a video either. I think you would have to post it on youtube then input the link after.

17. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

posting video...

You guys should go to photobucket....setup an account, you can post video's on there, then just hit the link on the video to post it directly on here...email if you need help.

18. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

and where did those come from Eric???....

if anyone is apprehensive about grinding the light send it to me and i can do it for you...:drinkup:

19. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

and where did those come from Eric???....

if anyone is apprehensive about grinding the light send it to me and i can do it for you...:drinkup:

20. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Dissociative, Is there a way that you did them to allow for the strobes and the cargo lights?