1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide-away strobes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow, Nov 2, 2001.

1. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I was going to wait until i got a truck to order these, but i couldn't pass up a good deal. I was on Ebay and found a dutch auction for a whelen 4 corner system, which includes a power supply, and 4 hide-away strobes clear (those seen in police cars, etc). well, the best price i ever found of that system with the high output, 90 watts. it's a 6 head power supply, so 15 amps per tube. A lot of people around me run hide-aways, i just wanted to alert people on this because i know some of you guys are looking at hide-away kits, with the 660 power supply for almost $300.
    here's the link for more info http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1025425242

The power supply is powerful enough output where you can buy another 2 remote strobes and they will all be very bright.

I'll tell you guys how it looks when i get it .

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

are you trying to copy me:D? lol. glad you found a good deal. now the search is on for the truck to put them in huh

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Bryan, thanks for the heads up.
    Thats a good price, especialy around here!
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

JD you gonna change out your novas for the whelens I should get them been looking for a good deal to come around,but what did they mean when they said Dutch whelen hida ways.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

No cat those are actually for my father's truck. They do have more features than mine though! I'm just returning the favor
    since he bought mine for me as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. The dutch means anything that is being sold as more than one at a time. When I first started going to ebay I thought that people in Europe where selling alot of stuff! :eek:

This guy is what I would call a "strobe king", you'll know what I mean if you look at his online store.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2001
  6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I bought them too. Great deal! I really can't wait to install them. Plus, they have 2 extra outputs so I can hook up my blue light strobes when I go on fire calls. I have been debating for a long time wether or not to spend the dough on the strobes. Now that I am plowing more 24 hour establishments, I find them even more of a necessity.

Thanks for the heads up on the dutch auction. If it weren't for your post I may have never bought them.
  7. snow

I see jdplower couldn't resist the price also! :D Jeff, they'll look great on your ford. i'm about to pay the guy now for them, probably get them in a week, if that long.

plowmeister- i'm a vollie also, but no blue light permit, one of the guys is going to give me a blue dashlight though. i'll probably end up running some amber remote strobes in the remaining 2 outlets.

this power supplie is one of the best one whelen makes, IMHO . 9 flash pattersn, 15 watts per tube, etc.

i'll get pix when i get mine!

like mdb landscaping said, i need a truck to put it in.

8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If you are in good with the local cops, they will probably let you investigate their hidden 'booty' of dash lights and such that were taken off older patrol cars. Otherwise, I recommend www.galls.com When I get my strobes, I am going to leave the rear clear and add blue to the front in the headlights and clear in the side markers. So, when I gotta speed to the fire house I can select the blue strobes and when I am speeding around my lots in an effort to arrest those tiny little snowflakes I know I will be safe from rogue vehicles.
  9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Bryan just ordered a set from that guy that is a good buy with a 90 watt supply would pay more than that from galls. for 4 clear lights it would be about $150 not includding the power supply and switch. you could not get that supply for $100 I'm glad that I waited.
  10. snow

thanks i could help you guys out.
    cat320- i know you were looking for a good price on them for a while, i knew a couple of you wanted them , but didn't want to spend like $350. i payed by paypal.com using a credit card, can't wait to get a truck to mount them on, and to get the strobes themselves.

glad i could help you guys save some $$$,