1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide-Away Strobes on 2008 Ford F-250

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ChickenKing, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

Hi all. I just picked up my 8' Boss for my 2008 Ford F250 and going to start pushing some snow. Before the season starts I would like to install Hide-Away strobes but not sure where to put them and what color to use. Wondering if anyone had experience with this tuck or similar year. So far I think I narrowed it down to the Whelen 90 Watt system. Would you suggest getting the clear bulbs or the amber bulbs? Where would you suggest mounting them for best visibility? In the turn signals? Headlights? Brake lights? Back-up lights? A little confused and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

well i would have to say tail light for sure and front turn signals and go with clear bulbs

3. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

Clear bulbs sounds good. Where in the tail lights?

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Put them in the reverse lights, but I believe theirs an extra spot on the tail lights that can be drilled into and have a light put in it.

5. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

So front turn signals and rear reverse lights....clear 90 watt bulbs.

I heard something about a double wall on the front light assembly and needing to drill a 1" hole and then a 3.4" hole to insert the bulb....is this crazy talk?

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

yes, same as my 011

2010-08-03 17.13.20.jpg

2010-08-03 17.26.16.jpg

7. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

Did you use the 90 Watt Whelen system? They have a screw-in bulb. Can you access the screws through the 1" hole ?

8. Reliable Snow and Ice

no just have to drill one hole not 2 i wana say a 3/4 hole but maybe it's a 1 in hole look at the bulbs for the size.

there should be a raised lip where the bulb/glass attaches to it's housing and then means to attach it to the housing IE screw holes and a rubber ring for vibration cushion and pre drill the screw holes or you can crack the housing ...

and take the whole head light assembly off the truck then do your drilling and mounting then put every thing back together might take a little while longer to do it this way but in the long run you will be happier you did....

9. 1olddogtwo

mine is 80 watts with 1 in push ins, 1 used1 1/8 drill and then 1 in drill. please dont not use a paddle bit. start off with1 1/8 or 1/4 hole saw and then 1 inch hole saw. drill slow....then quad it up

2010-08-03 17.26.24.jpg

10. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

11. Reliable Snow and Ice

12. 1olddogtwo

you will NOT be happy if you do:

Kit also includes:
    •(4) HA238C Hide-A-Way strobes.
    •(4) 15 foot strobe cables.

Strobes are flange mount style not grommet mount style.

the flange need to be screwed in.....do you want to see srecw tips in your headlights? and the flange will hold the light to far in on the headlight. the outer shell is 1/2 to 3/4 from the inside of the finish part of the light,,,,,u need the grommet ones

13. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

I think the grommet ones are 60 watts ? Think they will have enough "umph" ?

14. 1olddogtwo

my back ups.....

2010-08-04 20.27.17.jpg

15. Reliable Snow and Ice

ok so instead of drilling screw holes use an epoxy made for plastic to hold them in and put then in a spot that is away from the head lamp bulb you'll still get the reflection in the housing

16. 1olddogtwo

17. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

I was thinking of installing in the turn signal section of the housing...just thinking.....not sure if the screw head issue is a big problem for me.

18. Reliable Snow and Ice

ok then pre drill i thought you were going head light's

19. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

sounds like a plan....

20. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member