1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide-away strobes in back up lights?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joethevacman14, Feb 9, 2004.

1. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

Has anyone installed strobes in these type of tail lights? I took the light apart today and it looks like it'll work I'm just wondering if anyone has done it. Also, in the second pic, where would you install back-up lights to replace stock ones that the strobe may be going into?

rear back up light.jpg

2. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

Where would you install back-up lights to replace stock ones that the strobe may be going into?

rear view.jpg

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I put backup lights on the Bumper below the tailights.

As shown in this pic. They are switch/relay operated independently of the OEM backup's.

1990truck.jpg

4. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

backup lights

you leave your existing backup lights in just look at the seperations of the lights and drill a 1" (depending on the strobe lights you buy)hole on the side of the light to install the strobes. usually the strobes are a gromet type that squeeze right in just put some grease around teh hole or use silicone to keep moisture out both the strobe and teh backup lights should fit if you do it right just make sure theres room once you drill the hole thats it for teh tail lights i dunno if you are putting strobes in eh tail lights as well if you do try and keep the strobe light at teh same height as teh tail light just next to it that will reflect the best

5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

one of our trucks is the same body style as yours. i didn't do the installation but i know we have the original reverse lights as well as the tail light and reverse light strobed out. if you can't figure it out let me know and i'll try to get a picture.....

6. Rob Abner

Rob Abner Junior Member

I have the same tail lights and strobes installed in the back up lights. take out the tailight assembly and look at the side that faces in toward the edge of the tailgate, the side of the reverse lamp is flat strobe will fit right there and be very bright and not interfere with back up lamp. I would take some pics but my digital cam. is broken.

7. greatdane522003

greatdane522003 Junior Member

O Yeah they work fine I have a 92 Chevy 1500 and I have them in all 4 corners and they do fine and I installed them myself self in about a half of day

8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

It depends on where you live but if you put them in your brake lights you might get pulled over.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Put them in your backup light lens. You can see the white much better and in most states red strobes on nonemergency vehicles are illegal. The fronts, I have seen them in the headlights and the turn signals. I would do the turn signals, the headlights wash out the strobe when they are on. The amber does not blind you like white would with the flying snow.

10. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

Yea, red is against the law in my state so I just figured that I would put amber strobes in my parking lights and back up lights and flash amber all the way around. My next question, when I have my stock back-up lights on, are the back-up lights still going to be as bright as they were before and is the strobe going to melt the housing? Thanx to all and I cant wait to get started with my truck!

11. MickiRig1

Strobes put out no heat, the light is from a gas that reacts with a high voltage discharge into the gas. The backup lights should be the same brightness. When you go to install the lights I would draw a circle with a marker where you are going to drill hole. Take the strobe bulb out of the socket then duct tape the socket to the lens and make sure it will fit in the hole for the whole assembly. Better to check now then to end up drilling multiple holes to get it to work. I would install in the lens hole and make sure it works, then put silicon sealer around hole to seal it good. The bulb should last a long time so you will not have to replace it for along time.

12. MickiRig1

13. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

strobes last a real long time in our oldest chief car which is about 8 years old only 1 strobe has burnt out runing approx 2500 calls a year so you dont have to worry about them burning out anytime soon as far as you were told with strobes puttiong out no heat i beg to differ ive seen light assembilies melted from heat caused by strobes, when your installing them never touch the bulb especially if their on youll get sent into orbit (they also hold a charge about 5 min)and make sure you have a good ground if you find they dont work at any time check teh ground 9 times ot of 10 thats the problem and never unplug a light while the pack is on it could ruin teh whole pack and youull have to sart over its an easy instillation just very time consuming as far as i know white and red are illegal on the road but no cop will pull you over in a storm a little inside thing most departments where i live have a stationary patrol which means they go inside a building and wait for a call they dont drive around so you really dont have to worry about cops any ques feel free to ask i my 2000 f-350 im running 10 strobes and 10 led's

14. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

"Strobes put out no heat, the light is from a gas that reacts with a high voltage discharge into the gas. "

Not true... Strobes put out an ENORMOUS amount of heat. Maintain a minimum of at least 1" away from all meltable surfaces...... Steven

15. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

In regards to the color that you use, you had better do your homework and find out just what your local and state laws are. I know here we can run white and clear all day long. Other places have different laws. Some laws regulate how many flashing lights you can have. Some people have stated that putting strobes in your headlights is taboo but i think here in Ohio we can do that. Somebody has put a link to a site of abbreviated light laws that was helpful. Hope this helps...Rob

16. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Can someone post a picture of their strobe tube in the reverse lamp of their 88-98 style gm truck?

I have been wanting to put hideaways in for a long time but didn't think I could squeeze a tube into the small reverse lamp.

Thanks
    Ryan

17. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

Yes, I agree! Someone please post a pic of their strobe tube in their reverse light of there 88-98 style gm truck. I dont think I can fit it in there either! I am loving the new look!