1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide away strobe vs Light bar Vs body mounted lights

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by snowish10, Feb 21, 2013.

?

What type of strobe lights do you use??

1. hide away strobes

55.0%
  2. Light bars

66.7%
  3. body mounted stobes

26.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm just curious to see how many people have either hideaway strobes, light bars or body mounted strobes.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Can't vote, I have ALL

3. 06redzo6

06redzo6 Junior Member

Ii have 90w xenon hideaways and a mini light bar. Love them both.

4. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Hideaways I use year round and a cheap little magnet mount roof beacon added for plowing.

5. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I use a 24 LED mini light bar, love it!

6. 06redzo6

06redzo6 Junior Member

I have a couple videos of mine in action. I'll post them up soon. Does anyone else have any videos? I'm looking to replace my mini light bar even though it's plenty bright

7. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

1 truck has hideaways and light bar. although my next truck im not going to waste time with hideaways just a clean slim light bar. and my dump has light bar on roof and 6" oval rubber grommet mounted LED strobes.

8. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

i have a video but it wont let me upload it

9. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

hideaways.

the technology has come a long way with LED lighting. light bars "may" be more effective in terms of visibility (depends on manufacturer) but i personally do not like the look of a light bar. hideaways are there when you want them, and out of sight when you don't. personal preference really.

here's a video i put on youtube a couple months ago after setting up my truck with a "homemade" clearance light strobe kit - like what atomic offers (but atomic doesn't make a kit for my style truck).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dgL6gRVQng

10. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I have two 5' lightbars and a single mount strobe. Can't beat the lightbar's visibility. I often plow in congested and occupied areas, and visibility is a must.

11. 06redzo6

06redzo6 Junior Member

12. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I have all 3 on my truck. Led Hide A way's, 4 Led light heads, and a 24" Federal Signal Mini Legend Led bar.

14. 06redzo6

06redzo6 Junior Member

Let's see this beast!

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll have to see if I can get any decent videos of it. Pretty sure my phone camera is to slow and it just ends up looking like a big confusing mess of blinking lights and it's all washed out. And obviously pictures don't really tell a good story.

16. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I voted for all of the above. I guess I would cnsider the lights I have in my grill and on my back rack "body mount" since they arent really hide-a-ways....but I have those too :)

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a video off my phone from this morning. It's not great but gives you an idea of what my setup is.

http://youtu.be/eEiRW4XVPvU

18. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I just ordered the led e series off of strobes n more, I'll post a video whenever they get installed when the new truck comes in

19. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the videos everyones posting, Ill make a video with my strobes and running lights tommorrow. Im tempted to buy a small light bar, but i have a ton of running lights.

20. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

I'm just running a small strobe bar now (Star 9200SV), but recently acquired a small mag-mount LED beacon as a backup. If and when I get a BackRack on it, I've got a couple of Federal halogen beacons (Model 100) to go on there.

That's pretty neat. What are you using behind the cab, the ones at the top of the pickup body, facing the sides? Are they mounted to the rack in a way that would keep them from getting whacked by anything? I think something midway along the length of the truck like that could help keep it from getting T-boned by somebody who was driving "HUA" (Head Up @$$). If they were pretty directional, then the flash wouldn't mess up the view in the mirrors too much.

For you guys with the flashers in the front corners, especially those wicked-bright white strobes, how bad is the reflection off the back of the blade when you're plowing? White would be illegal in my state anyway, but I'd like to put something amber as far forward as possible, aimed sideways. Maybe something on the headgear, just below the level of the hood . . .