1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide away strobe light

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by centralmtconst, Jan 26, 2013.

1. centralmtconst

centralmtconst Junior Member

I bought a kit from strobes n more. Where do I install the lights in my 2012 chevy. Doesnt seem like there is a good location. Has anyone installed them in their Chevy trucks? If so where do you install the bulb? Thanks Jon

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

It's not called a bulb, it's called a tube,
    I drill 1" holes in the headlights and in the tail lights or reverse lights. Run a couple 14 guage wires to the power supply, a switch and an inline fuse and you're good. Don't use them on the road, and if you need help reply here, there's another guy that'll be able to help his username is GHFD with something before that.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The headlights will need a larger outer hole (I drill a 1 1/2") in the outer wall of the light only. Don't drill thru the inner wall with that big of a hole or you are s o l. Then in the inner wall of the lenses is where the 1 inch hole goes. You want the strobe tube near the focal point of the housing. That means as close to the factory bulb as possible. Good rule of thumb is about a inch away from the factory bulb all the way around. Save that outer wall piece to cover up the larger hole or it will leak and moisture will be a issue.

The tail lights you can drill The 1 inch hole as they are single wall lenses. If you need more help just ask.

4. centralmtconst

I probably will need more help. This is above my pay grade. There doesnt appear to be a place with an inch of flat surface to put the tube in. Does it need to be a flat surface. The headlight seems most tricky. Thanks for the replies

5. BossPlow2010

Nope, doesn't need to be flat at all, a trick when drilling, hold a shop vac next to the but so the piece the is drilled out doesn't fall in the housing. Also use a door knob bit.

6. centralmtconst

sounds like its gonna be a pain, how much time does it take?

7. BossPlow2010

Couple hours, it helps if you do it where it's warm too because lexel and electrical tape don't like cold :(

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

It's not that tough to do honestly. Get a inch and a half hole saw bit and a 1 inch hole saw bit for drilling. Find a spot in the lenses for the tubes and start the install. Just take your time. Don't rush the install. Good quality installs are best done when things are pre planned and time has been taken. Check out this page it may help you out.

http://elightbars.org/f13/hide-away-strobes-hide-away-leds-general-meaning-placement-5858/

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

10. centralmtconst

Thanks For the tips guys. I like the idea of going slow and planning ahead. Its tough to want to start cutting holes in a $60k truck. Makes me nervous. Might try it tomorrow and try to have it ready before it snows again.

11. 06redzo6

06redzo6 Junior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwGyOhIYyQ0&feature= I just installed them on my new f350. The thought of ruining a headlight was in the back of my mind. Decided to do the install myself. I'm glad I did I made sure it was done right. The truck iv had done by someone else always has headlight shavings left in the lights. I used a shop vac with a little piece of garden hose ducktaped to it. Then stuck the hose into the lights so suck out the plastic shavings.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZR1S5s0o8&feature

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  12. centralmtconst

Hey red zo6 What kind of milege does your truck get? Realistic numbers. How many gallons per hour does it use while plowing? What about empty numbers. I love my truck but the mileage is terrible with a lifetime average of 10.39 at 9000 miles

13. 06redzo6

06redzo6 Junior Member

I calculate my milage the old fashion way. I get around 10mpg plowing. When I first got the truck I did a short 300mile tripMy going 72mph I got 22.5mph calculated with some small town driving. My truck got 19.7mpg in 2500 miles on a trip to Florida and back. I kept the speed at 72mph on gps. That is with 160 miles of driving around fort Myers Beach. The beach didn't lower my milage at all it actually went up on the display. But on the island it's mostly 25-30mph stuff. My truck is right at 7500 miles. Towing #s to come

14. 06redzo6

06redzo6 Junior Member

I forgot my city driving has been anywhere from 15-17.8mpg. Heavy foot gas milage for me is right at 14.4

15. centralmtconst

How much DEF are you using? I have been through 13 gallons in 9000 miles. That seems high to me.

16. 06redzo6

06redzo6 Junior Member

I have no idea. My truck right now says 200 miles till its empty. IV never filled it up. My oil change soon just came on

17. 06redzo6

06redzo6 Junior Member

My truck has 3.55 gears and 20inch wheels