1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide Away Placement Opinion

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by mferrari, Dec 23, 2010.

1. mferrari

mferrari Member

I have a 60 watt strobe kit I am going to install this weekend (hopefully before the storm comes) and had a quick question as to placement. It is a 4 head unit and I want to put 2 in the front and 1 in the rear. These are going on a 2001 Ram

The rear I am going to put them in the reverse lights to make it simple and give off good light.

For the front I have a few options.
    1. In the headlight housing. Positive: While plowing the head light is off so it will give plenty of light. Negative: While running vehicle recovery at night I will be running the headlights so not sure the output would be good enough. Afraid of all the light just hitting the plow and bouncing back at me (annoying).
    2. In the fog lights: Positive: No background light to worry about. Negative: Light will hit the plow and just be plain annoying.
    3. Mount in the turn signals/running light housing. Positive: Better viewing to the front and side. Less light hitting the plow. Negative: Not sure how much the light output would be with the running lights on.

Any thoughts or input?
  2. mferrari

mferrari Member

Another option I guess could be to install all 4 heads in the rear and then run a different system in the front so I can keep them off with the plow.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I would just put them in the clear corners where the blinkers are in the front and red in the rear. The cops really frown on clear to the rear unless you have amber bulbs. Even fire depts aren't allowed clear to the rear, and no clear (white) flasing while in park either for fire depts. I know you are going to be plowing, but the some areas the cops are tools and will write you for clear to the rear.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I have two sets in the rear and 1 in the headlight area on my ram, I have it set up on a 2-way switch so I can turn just the rears on while plowing or I can have all 3 sets flashing when I need it.
  5. SnowJersey

SnowJersey Senior Member

i believe the housings are similar to the durango's. Our work durango's have them in the turn signal area and work very well.
  6. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I have a 180 watt kit and the 2 I put up front in my parking lights are bright and flash clear/white, I was worried about flash back from my plow and all that white snow, now that I use them while plowing I don't even relize them! And as far as the rear, stay away from your reverse lights, two reasons: it is frowned apon by the law and it is a very small area, the strobe tube does produce heat, not so bad in the red area because it has more room for the heat to release. Just my. 02¢ good luck
  7. firedawg

firedawg Member
    from S.E. CT

put them in the corner with turn signal, i did in my old 2001 ram with a 40 watt power supply and there was plenty of flash! good luck u shouldnt be disapointed
  8. mferrari

mferrari Member

Cool thanks for the input everyone. I'll post some video or something once I get them done.
  9. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I've got a 95 Ram and have 60 watt in front turns and rear reverse. Plenty bright even with lights on.
  10. gopats

gopats Junior Member
    from MA

I have a 6 way set up in my 2001 dodge. Front blinkers, reverse lights and tail lights.
  11. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Here is a video I did of the Whelen kit I put in my Super Duty they are clear on all four corners and I have never had a LEO give me flack over them. Pardon the quality it was done with my Blackberry.