1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hide away leads

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Green Grass, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Is there any reason why i can't make the cables from the supply to the strobes longer myself I need to make my 15 ft cable a 17ft cable. Just wondering if there is a reason why i can't do this??
  2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

You should not extend a strobe cable. They are a shielded cable. An un-shielded splice will cause electrical interference (with radios etc).
  3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I have...many times over. No issues.

You do need to make sure you do it right. I cut all wires at 1" length differences to keep the bulge offset. Soldered the wires. Then I used liquid rubber to coat the ends. Then I used good electrical tape to wrap the wires then the bundle. I then used the liquid rubber again to seal the tape. You need to make sure you also do this to the inline ground wire in the bundle too and not just the colored wires.
  4. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

what happens if you don't hook up the inline ground?? I hooked mine up just curious what happens if you don't?
  5. Lowriderfd44

Lowriderfd44 Senior Member

Nothing, lol. It's just there in case you get interference on your radio or something. If you hook it up ahead of time all the better. All my strobe cables, and some have been in place for about 8 years now, don't have that in line ground hooked up. I never got any interference so i never had too.